1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I be able to record digital TV on my HTPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by peterj1974, Jun 6, 2005.

1. peterj1974

peterj1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I have a Sony WEGA TV with inbuilt digital tuner and I'll soon be building my first HTPC to connect to this TV. I've trawled through the forums to find out what components I need. I plan on using a Hauppage WinTV PVR500MCE card. I'm a bit confused about what I will actually be able to do with this. I understand that I can view/pause/record analogue TV but can I also do the same with Digital TV. If not, what do I need so that my HTPC can act as a PVR for digital TV.

Thanks for your help

Pete

2. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    If it has a digital tuner then yes it'll do it. Otherwise just hunt around for a digital tuner card. I use a Nebula DigiTV myself :)

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,128
    I'd not bother with a haupage and get the nebula instead .

The winTV cards have analogue tuners. They are useful if you want to record Sky or other external analogue sources but thats about it.

The nebula is a freeview tuner (digital) and its also one of the best PVR solutions out there.

Only downside is no MCE compatability yet.