Question Will HTC Still Be In Business Next Year?

Discussion in 'VR Virtual Reality Forum' started by thesnowdog, Aug 1, 2018.

1. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    As the title implies. HTC have just made 1500 people redundant and have been posting losses for every quarter for quite some time now.

Yes, they've had a couple of billions dollars worth of investment from Google, but the vast majority of that has probably gone to pay off debts.

The VR industry needs competition to drive things forward but we could end up seeing Oculus having no realistic competition next year if HTC go under - Pimax aren't filling me with confidence at all, and the WVR headsets are mid-range headsets and not anywhere near high-end.

Hopefully HTC will start to make better decisions going forward, because the release of the Vive Pro has to be one of the daftest business decisions they've made for quite some time.

So what do you think? Will they be able to keep their lights on next year and if not how will this affect the VR industry?

2. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    I think their VR division will survive in some form or another.
    imo the problem they have, and the problem all 3rd party hmd manufacturers including pimax will have when up against oculus, is this :-

Oculus sell the HMD however they make the majority of their money off software sales off their own store front. **having billionaire companies like Fascebook also helps.. $500 million to help make some games for oculus store exclusives is chump change for FB!)

I do not follow that closely but my understanding is that the exclusive vive store HTC have made is not really doing that well .

As long as Valve make the profits off of software it means the likes of HTC have to make their profit off the hmd itsself. (just look at the pricing, not only of the likes of the pro hmd but also the peripherals... the replacement wands - of which 2 mates i know of have had to replace one - is eye watering.

imo the best thing which could happen is that valve just sh*t or get get off the pot, preferably commit properly to VR and just release their own HMD (or just licence the likes of HTC to make the Valve Vive for a set price and then let valve take any loss leader hit on it as well as cover all marketing costs etc with a view to selling games).

I think HTC were perhaps just not big, or solvent enough to be the flag flier for steamVR VR HMDs.

Of course as long as valve can do what they do best, sit on their asses and take their 30% cut as payment for their position in the market, as well as take the profits for the vive software sales without having to do the work, I fear they will happily just sit their and let HTC sink and then hope somoene else steps up (like pimax).

This is all just my gut feeling I will happily be proven wrong and would love to see HTC pull it back.

before the windows HMDs the vive had a really good niche in that it is better suited to the rift for large entertainment type shizzle, plug in a couple of light house units into the mains and all you need is 1 cable to attach to your pc, making it better for "arcade VR".

but now with windows HMDs I wonder if they are not more suited than even the vive....
    and for low power experiences the likes of go or (soon) santa cruz may be better still.

perhaps the vive has lost its niche there... indeed I personally reckon that is more where the pro is aimed and not the general gamer like you or I. For those kind of things a grand price is not really an issue.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. huxley

huxley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Yup I`m sure they will survive as long as they learn from their recent mistakes.
    Oculus and Vive need each other to drive development. The next couple of releases should be interesting. Pimax who knows when (yes I`m a baker). Oculus - the Santa Cruz inside out system, actual specs of CV2. One thing is for sure HTC are not in a place to release or announce anything, but you can bet they are going to be watching very carefully before they do.

4. thesnowdog

thesnowdog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I think we can safely reasonably estimate the specs of the CV2 based on what we've seen so far. We know that the Half Dome has eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering and we also know that they've chosen 140 degree FOV which is quite a big leap. The Pimax FOV is 200 degrees, but that's the DIAGONAL FOV.

There'll probably be around 10 degrees difference between the CV2 and the Pimax 8K which really isn't a big difference.

This FOV plus the displays that BOE have shown plus the eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering shown at F8 will make a 4K per eye headset likely.

I agree that we need competition, I've mentioned here a few times before, but if HTC go tits up this year then Oculus won't really have any unless Pimax up their game during these next few years.

5. gcogger

gcogger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I strongly suspect that, if HTC go under, Valve would simply buy their VR division. They've a a fair bit invested in the lighthouse and new knuckles technologies and, if there was no Vive, I think the developers would gradually move to the Oculus store rather than Steam.

6. Nivek TT

Nivek TT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,195
    @thesnowdog both Oculus and Vive claimed a 110 degree field of view that turned out to be diagonal Don't reckon they'll stop chasing the larger number now, so I bet that 140 degree is diagonal and you're looking at something more like 125 degree horizontal.