1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will HDTVs accept other resolutions than 720p and 1080i via DVI?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mandarin Man, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Mandarin Man

Mandarin Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For example, if I set my graphics card resolution to say, 1920x1200 or 1024x768 (@ 50 or 60 Hz) and I play a 1080p WMV file. Will HDTVs accept this 1200p/768p signal, even if their manuals don't say it?

Or is it best to only output exactly 720p or 1080i resolutions? Or maybe at the TV's native resolution like e.g. 1366x768?

Furthermore, if you set Powerstrip/your drivers to ouput 1080i via DVI, wil it interlace progressive video like a 1080p WMV trailer (artifacts?) and leave e.g. a 1080i TS file intact (recognizing it to be interlaced and outputting field after field)?

Thanks

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on the display. "HDTV Ready" sets must accept 720p & 1080i but the display may support/accept other resolutions & refresh rates.

:smoke:

3. Mandarin Man

Mandarin Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Kosmo. In general, do many HDTVs accept 1080p via their DVI input or almost never?

What about this?

4. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    nope, the current batch of Official HDTV's do not except 1080P, they don't have to, it's not in the Hi-Def classification...if you want 1080P best bet is to get an LCD pc display which can do 1920*1200 Native, there are quite a few out there, including ones by apple, Lg, samsung, sony, nec...but they are all under 24" inches...hmm, now that I think of it some of them don't even do 1920*1200 VIA DVI, they don't tell this in the spec, but sometimes 1920*1200 is only available on VGA..make sure you find out what's the max res using DVI is when you buy a display...of course them Aplle screens only have DVi, so they are the only ones that can be trusted, but who wants an apple?..there way overpriced...

5. Mandarin Man

Mandarin Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I want to play a 720p/1080p WMV trailer on my TV, I'd best use it's PC VGA input, which accepts progressive at certain resolutions?

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265