Will HD improve action scenes?

bitofatit

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Am I alone in being only "Whelmed" when (say) watching footie and the action follows the ball across the screen and all of the players and crowd are subject to "bluriness"? I never used to get this on my CRT TV. Don't get me wrong very happy with the PQ when the action is slow etc.
Question is, will this improve with HD or will scences that quickly pan from one side to the other still mean there is a level of less than crisp pics? I have a Sharp Aquos LCD.

Well there are a few factors in this.
1) Your Aquos with quickshoot on would be one of the better LCD's when it comes to response times.
2) if you spin round and round, you'll notice that fast movement naturally leads to blurring anyway, this is quite separate from ghosting which is based on response times.
3) A bigger screen will naturally amplify this effect since theres a greater distance for the ghosting to effect/the natural blurring will appear larger and be more noticeable.

I doubt HD will impact any of this really, maybe the greater clarity will "appear" to improve it a little.

Watched some Euro 2004 footage in hi-def on HD-1 channel. The close-ups and crowd shots look brilliant - but fast track shots look as normal - whizzy! The shots of pitch look great - all the players look sharp. Slow tracking is good too - all this at 1080i though.

I would like to see some 720p footage as it is said this is better for sports action....

H

Thx guys, fairly re-assuring. Maybe if i moved quickly the same way as the panning it might help? Probably not!
Regards

Except Sky are going to use 1080i (unfortunately imho)

No they are not! Sky will use 720p for sports and 1080i for films (from another thread).

You tend to get motion problems showing 576i SD on progressive scan devices (e.g. LCDs and Plasma) due to the de-interlacing process. Motion with 720p material will look much smoother than watching 576i SD material.

Do you have a link to that? I'd quite like to show it to the guy who (claims to) work on the video broadcast chain at Sky who told me it's going to be 1080i and see his reaction.

Is it this? The digitalspy interview?
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311457&highlight=1080i+sport

If so, it just says the consensus (which I subscribe to) is that 720p is better for sport. Doesn't say Sky are going to use it, or am I missing something?

I've seen that one and another- but sorry I don't know where/when :(

1080i (25Hz) looks best with film because film is only 24Hz anyway (converted to 25Hz) so you would not get any motion benefit from going to 720p/50Hz.

However, I think there is a strong case for going 720p on sports, so I would be very surprised if they didn't.

I think the panel you are watching it on is the main factor. I wasn't prepared to switch over to plasma or lcd technology until I found a set that handled football in an acceptable fashion (as good as my 36" Panasonic CRT was the benchmark.) At the time I was looking I couldn't find an LCD set that did the job for me but the Panny 42PV500 did. Football is great for me (I assume you are watching it on Sky) so it must be the panel.

720p should make this better in theory - I've also read (not on DigitalSpy) that this will be used for sports - it was in the Sky powerpoint presentation to the installers IIRC.

bitofatit said:
Am I alone in being only "Whelmed" when (say) watching footie and the action follows the ball across the screen and all of the players and crowd are subject to "bluriness"? I never used to get this on my CRT TV. Don't get me wrong very happy with the PQ when the action is slow etc.
Question is, will this improve with HD or will scences that quickly pan from one side to the other still mean there is a level of less than crisp pics? I have a Sharp Aquos LCD.

Are you referring to 'blockyness' if there is a lot of detail on screen?
eg football crowd? jungle/forest in i'm a celebrity get me out here etc?

that is down to bit rate! I think you will be ok with hd but not 100%
anyone confirm it:confused:

I get blockyness and huge jaggies on the pitch markings, these are due to the poor sky picture and low bitrates.....

These are the things I expect HD to resolve....if you get bluring on moving scenes, I fear that is down to the responce times of your LCD.

I never have really gotten any blurring on either plasma I own.

Blockyness and huge jaggies are evident on the plasma i got.Watching snooker few weeks back on some camera angles the cue ball was not perfectly round,it definitely had what is called jaggies.I also find scrolling text to be unreadable at times,never noticed these things on a crt screen before.Fast rolling scenes too are blurry.I found when i owned a lcd tv things were far worse.So i am now stuck with a plasma.

choddo2006 said:
Except Sky are going to use 1080i (unfortunately imho)
sport will be 720p and apparently we will have the option of setting box to output 720 p 1080i or selecting auto

Generally you don't see any difference between watching 720p or 1080i during sports. Generally you have problems if the bitrate is too low. I've been watching sports in the US for the last year at both 720p and 1080i and have not seen any difference. The only problems I experienced was during the first several days of broadcasting of the winter olympics. During that time, the network was having problems getting the bitrate up. Each day, the network brought the bitrate up a little more and the picture became better. After a week, everything was solved.

Generally you can tell if it is a bitrate problem by recording it to the DVR and then playing it back in slow motion. If pixelization occurs, it is a bitrate problem.

Bitrate, lighting, quality of camera, and camera work is much more important than whether you are watching in 720p or 1080i.

al5000 said:
Blockyness and huge jaggies are evident on the plasma i got.Watching snooker few weeks back on some camera angles the cue ball was not perfectly round,it definitely had what is called jaggies.I also find scrolling text to be unreadable at times,never noticed these things on a crt screen before.Fast rolling scenes too are blurry.I found when i owned a lcd tv things were far worse.So i am now stuck with a plasma.
Which plasma is that?

bryan w said:
sport will be 720p
Do you have a source for that? I really hope you're right.

(it's not in the PPT by the way)

Mike_CA said:
Generally you don't see any difference between watching 720p or 1080i during sports. Generally you have problems if the bitrate is too low. I've been watching sports in the US for the last year at both 720p and 1080i and have not seen any difference. The only problems I experienced was during the first several days of broadcasting of the winter olympics. During that time, the network was having problems getting the bitrate up. Each day, the network brought the bitrate up a little more and the picture became better. After a week, everything was solved.

Generally you can tell if it is a bitrate problem by recording it to the DVR and then playing it back in slow motion. If pixelization occurs, it is a bitrate problem.

Bitrate, lighting, quality of camera, and camera work is much more important than whether you are watching in 720p or 1080i.

When you say you didn't see any difference between sport @720p or @1080i what kind of TV were you viewing it on?

24 will surly just get even better when it is screened in HD on Sky One HD buds.

mark800 said:
I've seen that one and another- but sorry I don't know where/when :(

1080i (25Hz) looks best with film because film is only 24Hz anyway (converted to 25Hz) so you would not get any motion benefit from going to 720p/50Hz.

However, I think there is a strong case for going 720p on sports, so I would be very surprised if they didn't.

please can you clarify for me. when you say 25hz do you mean 25 frames per second. I thought all uk electrical appliances ran at 50hz.
Sorry if this sounds dumb but I am trying to get to grips with this HD thing before I get it.:lease:

Hz is classed as the refresh rate, and when I mean this. An example is the lower the hz the more flicker you will see, the higher the hz the less flicker.

And Hz has nothing to do with frames per sec mate.

Rimmer said:
When you say you didn't see any difference between sport @720p or @1080i what kind of TV were you viewing it on?
I have a Sharp 45" LCD.

TVR_Fan said:
Hz is classed as the refresh rate, and when I mean this. An example is the lower the hz the more flicker you will see, the higher the hz the less flicker.

Thanks TVR

TVR_Fan said:
Hz is everything to do with frames per second :rolleyes:

A Hertz or Hz is a measurement of any perodic occurence per second or in simple terms 1 Hz simply means "one per second". Therefore a video signal of 720p/50 for example means 50 frames of 720 lines progressive per second, a video card with a clock speed of 500MHz means that it can carry out 500 Million instructions per second and so on.

Please check your facts.

Ploppy said:
please can you clarify for me. when you say 25hz do you mean 25 frames per second. I thought all uk electrical appliances ran at 50hz.
Sorry if this sounds dumb but I am trying to get to grips with this HD thing before I get it.:lease:
Since film is shot at 24 fps, each frame is displayed for .04166 second using a movie projector. If you were displaying that frame on a TV at 1080i, you should display each frame for .04166 seconds at 24 hz also but that is impossible to do. If you were displaying it in 720p, you should display the frame 2 times at 48 Hz but that is impossible also. Now the problem is, what if you displayed the frame 1 time when using 1080i at 25 hz or 2 times when using 720p at 50 hz which what the TV has the capability of doing? Well the problem is that the image is displayed slightly less time than it should be by approximately 4% so you will have a slightly faster movie. To compensate, the TV uses what is called pulldown when displaying film. At a 60 Hz rate (US standard) TV, the pulldown is called 3:2 and I think at the 50 hz rate, the pulldown is called 13:12.

What pulldown means is you want to pulldown or display one frame an extra time after so many frames have been displayed to get the picture back in sync. That means that a 13:12 pulldown will display 12 frames at 1080i and the 13th will be displayed twice. It also means that each frame will be displayed twice at 720p for 12 frames and the 13th frame will be displayed 4 times. Your eye cannot comprehend these changes so you will not notice any difference but the moive remains in sync.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom