1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will HD DVD improve picture on non HD TV's?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Burnard, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Burnard

Burnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,Im new to the the HD subject but i understand that a TV needs to support HD to utilise the signal but will it yeild any improvement for non HD ready tv's?
    I have just purchased a Sony KF-42SX300 LCD rear projector and im a little upset that this TV has no support for it.
    Does the new Sky HD also only run on HD inputs or can we hook up to a scart for a better feed than the present crappy Sky feed thats full of digital noise?
    Anyone shed a little light?
    Thanks all.

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I think you have a fairly good TV there so even if you dont have the full necesary specs you should still see a huge improvement over analogue TV.

The only problem will be wether you can actually conect a digital HDTV tuner to your TV or not!

In Japan we can conect HD tuners to our sets by component so it works on almost any fairly new TV.
    However, in the UK ive been hearing that Sky will be using HDMI as its main conection, so unless your TV has an HDMI conection then it wont be possible, and no adapters will ever come out bcoz HDMI uses HDCP encryption which cant be avoided.

My advice is to dump your TV in a couple of years (or now while its still new) and get one that does have the propper resolution and conections necesary for HDTV and future formats such as HD-DVD and Blu Ray.

I dont think scart will ever be an option. I think scart will die very soon :devil:

3. Burnard

Burnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply AML.Im really fond of my Sony set so ill hang onto it.I suppose i can put up with my present Sky feed i just hope ill be able to hook up to HD DVD when the technology becomes available using component input.
    Thanks again.B

4. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before I sold my AE100, I managed to compare Coral Reef downscaled onto the AE100 against my PC monitor. It was so obvious I was losing so much detail. Upgraded to the AE500 and the improvements were massive. As soon as a full 1080 projector comes along at a sensible price, I'll be upgrading asap.

If you can get a HD image to the TV all well and good.

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right now, a widescreen picture is actually transmitted as a 4:3 picture. A wide screen TV then stretches it horizontally.

HDTV is natively widescreen (1920x1080 or 1280x720) so that no stretching is required. In theory, HDTV should give a more detailed picture than SDTV when viewed on a standard TV.

The real problem may be connections since Sky are using HDMI and not SCART.

6. Burnard

Burnard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a pain really as my Sony LCD rear projector has a res of 1280x720 but no hdmi in or components.I dont know what goes through Sonys head sometimes as this tv is only a couple of weeks old and out of date already.
    Thanks all for your replies.

7. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Hmm - that is an oversimplification. 4:3 and 16:9 SDTV are carried in the same analogue video formats, and the same digital formats. This is because they have the same number of scanning lines. A 576/50i signal in a 625 frame has to have a 64us line time - whether the image contained in the line is 4:3 or 16:9. If the same sync pulse standards are used this leaves 52us for the video - whether it is 4:3 or 16:9. The 52us isn't itself either 4:3 or 16:9. 4:3 came first, sure, but 16:9 analogue video can be just as easily carried in the same line-time - it doesn't make this "16:9 carried as 4:3" though.

When digital TV was introduced a common sampling rate of 13.5MHz was used for both 525/60 and 625/50 (helpful for many reasons) This allows 702 samples for the 52us active line time of PAL (though 720 are normally taken to avoid cropping and ringing etc.)

This 702x576 sampling scheme doesn't use square "pixels" in either 4:3 or 16:9 - it is just a digital sampling scheme. Of itself it is neither 4:3 nor 16:9.

(An 18MHz optional variant of the digital scheme was mooted for 16:9 - to retain equal angular resolution with 4:3 run at 13.5MHz - but it wasn't adopted)

This is true in "square pixel" HDTV schemes - however 1440x1080, 1280x1080, and 960x720 are also used, none of which are square pixel based. Non-square pixels are a fact of life in the broadcast world - once you build equipment that copes with a concept of a sample/pixel aspect ratio your life gets much easier!

Yep - and also you have to ask if the HDMI inputs will run at all the resolutions and refresh rates you wish to feed the display with? If it is like DVI then not all displays accepted 50Hz DVI initially.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DVi with HDCP will also work and HDCP is already on a rocky road to extinction...........for Sky HD 720p and 1080i @ 50HZ is critical ideally on an HDCP interface.