Will Handheld Portable TV'S work after analogue switch off?

W

waynewickenden

When the analogue signal gets switched off what will happen if anything to the protable TV's taht you can by in the shops?

I only ask this as i travel to London and back to get to work and i couldnt do withouht my portable TV?

Maybee there will be or is a portable freeview reciever available i dont know?

Anyone able to help?

Anyone?, Someone must know

I really need to know this before i go out and buy a more newer one, because as you can see above i rely on it a lot

waynewickenden said:
Anyone?, Someone must know

I really need to know this before i go out and buy a more newer one, because as you can see above i rely on it a lot

No they won't. Nothing that has only a built-in analogue tuner willwork once the big switch-off has happened; that includes TV Tuner cards in PC's.

But you've got a few years yet - the switch-off won't be compete until 2012, though it starts in 2008 in some areas (Wales & Scotland mainly).

Cheers
Nigel

I would recommend looking at the new portable media players that are just becoming available - bit expensive at the moment, but they will get better & cheaper. Then you can carry a library of MP4 encoded films, TV programs etc around with you whilst commuting.

Cheers
Nigel

matty2767 said:
carnt you get tv on your mobile phone?

Did not know that this was possible, dont mean to make you advertise or anything, but what sorts of phone have tvs in them.

That would be handy (I seriously need a new phone lol, Currently I have 3210)

Thank you nrmsmith

When I saw Wayne's question it reminded me of my hand held Sony television. I had wondered about my other old portable televisions too and assumed they wouldn't survive the switch off. Since the switch off varies according to different parts of the country it may be the south east will still have an analogue tuner signal for quite a while.

I presume then if I travelled by train with my hand held portable television it may still receive a signal providing I wasn't in an early switch off area, such as Wales.
It would be quite weird, watching the start of a favourite soap and then silence as it approached noanalogueland.

Hey, that's progress ! In the 1990's we could send a man into space via the space shuttle, fly supersonic on Concorde, and watch a portable TV on the train. How many of these things will we be able to do in 2012 ? :cool:

Using the SCART inputs analogue TVs will still work as A/V monitors ("SCART monitors") , handling Cvbs, RGB or s-video depedning on what inputs they have. They would work with normal settop boxes via the STBs' A/V outputs.
Only the tuner will be defunct.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

Thank you for the information Chris Muriel. I didn't realise that the analogue tvs could still be used. I knew the tuner would be defunct and assumed all the components would be useless without that individual tuner. Good news for a lot of people. Those old portables seem to go on forever.

When we lived near Manchester our close friends were Chris and Muriel!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom