1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will HalfLife2 become the ultimate Xbox FPS?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Tetlee, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    Hi all :hiya: ,

Thinking of slightly correcting the serious lack of any FPS's on my Xbox. Was thinking of going for Doom3 (loved the originals) but a bit put off by the torch nigles people are moaning about. Then there's the obvious Halo2 choice, trouble is I'm pretty hopeless at FPS on consoles (so probably won't get to play multiplayer which is the part everyone seems to talk about). So for a single player FPS is it worth hanging on for HalfLife2, looks like it could become the best Xbox FPS?

Always wanted to play HalfLife2 on my pc but it's way too old :suicide:

Any comments appreciated as I'm in a buying mood and don't want to make a wrong choice :rolleyes:

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ?

Looks okay, but I must confess to finding it somewhat boring. Don't let me put you off though.

3. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    WOW, that surprises me, up til now all I've heard is rave reviews :eek: . Wonder how they'll manage the conversion to Xbox, I'm hoping for something pretty special but time will tell.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    half life 2 is ok, nothing special imo and certainly not close to halo 2 in terms of gameplay.

5. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    How's the difficulty level of Halo2 considering I never played Halo? I'm gathering from your last comment you're also a pc gamer, is it tricky adopting to losing the mouse & keyboard or does Halo2 really play well with the controller? Come to think of it, has there ever been a keyboard & mouse option for Xbox as I'm pretty sure there is for PS2?

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    the xbox controller is really good for fps games as the right thumbstick works as a strafe.

7. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
  8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    If you've yet to play Halo start with that...superb FPS whatever way you slice it . In fact the single player is maybe a little bit more polished than Halo2.

I've played a lot of FPS on lots of different platforms and Halo is up there with the best of them. Probably the best game I've played in the last 10 years.

9. Wilt

Wilt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When is Half Life 2 for Xbox coming out? Amazon uk say New Years eve, this can't be right.

10. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends really Half Life 2 is a superb game and if you go on reviews there pretty much identical in terms of scores although Halo/Halo2 do score higher for the MP aspect and Half Life 2 In Single Player.

IMO Half Life 2 is a much better single player experience, the physics alone are just amazing and make the game more fun as theres so much you can do with them

11. drskhaled

drskhaled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Doom 3 was a good (not great) single palyer fps but short lived. very impressive technical showcase though. Half life two should be cool but it depends on how the conversion goes, and finally theres far cry instincts due in september. I got through the first few levels on my pc then my sister took the gaming pc to university and my poor laptop wont cope with it, but that was a cool game so hopefully the xbox version will be good.
    So theres 2 top fps coming out after summer, it all depends on the conversio process. Now how we're supposed to get through the summer with the drought of good games i have no idea.

12. watchinthewheel

watchinthewheel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have half life2 on the pc and tbh i want all that impressed, i mean the physics and graphics are totaly faultless but for gameplay i thouight it was a little tame tbh, nothing really original.

13. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,417
    isn't Pariah meant to be good?

14. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    mediocre at best ...rubbish at worse

15. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,417
    bit like Red Faction on PS2 then?

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    possibly worse to be honest very unsatisfying combat at least in red faction you felt you were hitting what you aimed at.

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No live support for HL2 :(

Then again online play on the PC wasnt its strong point. The main reason most people like Halo 2 is the live side of the game.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Personally I found Halo2 pretty dull - didn't even have the urge to complete it and the multiplayer game is full of cheats and kids who play it 24/7. It's an OK game and can be picked up pretty cheap now (I think someone posted it for £14.99 in the bargains section).

Half Life 2 on the other hand is without a doubt the finest single player FPS that i've ever played. I would expect it to become the greatest single player X-Box FPS as well. Doom3 is OK and has some great graphics but it's all a bit samey.

I would recommend the Chronicles of Riddick though - picked this up a while back for around £18 and it's a superb game! :thumbsup:

19. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Online and single player are very different dynamics, and its unfair to throw them into the same mix.

Halo 2 online is indeed populated by cheats and 24/7 players - but then so is every popular online game released to date. However, I really enjoyed Halo 2 single player (the story is excellent, just badly told - read the books and you're in for a treat), though I've got to agree with CAS that Half Life 2 is the best single player experience I've played. I hope it can translate to the Xbox - and if it does, it will be the best FPS on any console IMHO.

Online, no-one can argue with Halo 2's implementation - its just unfortunate that people are flawed. That's not a fault with the software. Fill a room with people from your friends list and its the best experience out there.

Half Life 2 is difficult to sum up online, as it doesn't really have one. CS is the closest you'll get, but thats just not related to HL2. CS is again an excellent game, plagued by glitchers and 24/7ers.

And if you throw Riddick into the mix, its just not a fair comparison, as it doesn't even have a multiplayer - a major reason I never bought it. EDIT: Though I keep thinking I should pick up a copy, and prob will at some point.

20. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    Yes, I must say I agree with this. It is a good game, especially if you have other mates who play it on Multiplayer. Personally for me it's a bit too Unreal Tourney/Quake and I prefer my FPS's a bit less hectic. The implementation is great though and it's a shame that some people have to spoil it through cheating.

When it comes to Half Life 2, I really couldn't put it down until i'd finished it and there are very few games that grab me like that these days.

Chronicles of Riddick is another game that I haven't finished yet. I've played through a lot of it and really enjoyed what I played but I must admit it hasn't pulled me back to complete it like HL2 did. Still it's a great game with a good plot and great graphics. I'd definately dabble Loz if you can pick up a cheap copy somewhere.

I really enjoyed playing through Brothers in Arms and that's another game that I was hooked on until I finished it. That's worth a look if you like your FPS's with a more tactical element to them.

21. wallisj

wallisj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There was an article regarding HL2 on Xbox in this months edge...they were pretty scathing about it....saying mainly the xbox just couldn't reproduce the vast detail a good spec pc was capable of....although they have taken advantage of some lighting techniques that the xbox does well to improve certain things...the single worst critisism was of the frame rate...granted this was a beta release they looked at but they didn't pull punches on the fact that it seemed to be really struggling to hold the game at anything like a respectable framerate...

Compared to a top spec pc which can do 80+fps the xbox was just about holding 30 but a lot of the time it was well below....they were unsure whether it would be possible to make it silky smooth....

Time will tell...not knocking the xbox but halflife2 was designed with modern hardware in mind and the xbox is several years old....i'm sure they will make a decent game of it but whether it will make halo2 the 2nd best is still out to debate

22. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Without wanting to go off track - I think Far Cry Instincts will wee all over this from a great height. It's looks for exceed anything I was expecting from it on aging hardware and combined with the hl2 Edge article has pushed half life 2 right from my shopping list (unless of course the final reviews say otherwise :D )

23. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I'm pretty sure that HL2 will run fine on the X-Box when released. Anyone with any intellegence knows that it will not be as rich and detailed as the PC version running on a high spec machine. If it was then noone would buy a £2k PC when they can pick up an X-Box for virtually nothing and get the same performance. I expect it to be similar to the Doom3 conversion on the X-Box. That was cut down in certain areas and the resolution was obviously considerably lower than the PC version. It was however hailed as the better version due to it's co-op play.

Valve will have simply ported HL2 straight across and then they will be spending time reducing what they can to get the game work smoothly (whilst maintaining the integrity of the game). My PC is now rather old Ti4400, XP2200, 512 DDR400mhz ram but it still ran HL2 well at average detail and resolution. The frame rate was around 30-40 fps but that was fine and the game ran smoothly at this rate and I fully enjoyed the experience. I'm sure the X-Box version will turn out to be great and people that play it will enjoy it for what it is and will not be sat there comparing it frame for frame with the PC version on a top spec PC. Well let's face it, they would be rather sad if they did!

24. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Farcry is the best looking FPS, and Halo 2 is the best gamplay FPS IMO.

25. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Far Cry Instincts is a new game as well its not just a PC port. They have implemented alot of stuff on the multiplayer side which is looking quite interesting as well (Multiplayer on Far Cry was awful on the PC)

I think alot of people have been unhappy with the port of HL2 they have seen and no Live support is a big blow. Personally I thought Doom 3 was incredibly boring an restrictive. Scary yes but the online implementation was absolutely terrible. Lag city even with a fantastic connection.

As for Halo 2 its one of the best online games I have played on any format to be honest but I guess I just like this sort of game. People who play it now will realise there isnt any cheating anymore. The map and weapons glitches have been patched and the modem glitch whilst it can be used to an extent no longer has any advantage (As Bungie just reset the game now and kick everyone out) consequently I havent seen it in many weeks and I play most nights.

The good think about Halo 2 is you play against people at your own level because of the ranking structure; there are anomalies but 8 games out of 10 times I get a great game on matchmade games. But most of the time I play match made or clan matches with 4 - 8 friends who are all decent players.

Its a whole different experience when you are playing comptetively with decent players. Yes there are very good people on there but this goes for ALL games including Forza, Ghost Recon etc. Bottom line Halo 2 is the best FPS available on any console and is extremely well though off in the online FPS multiplayer stakes overall. But nothing has beat Quake 2 for me so far :)

26. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The AI in Red Faction was pretty bad though, I mean how frustrating was it that whenever you entered a new area, as soon as your head appears they saw you straight away – even if they were on the other side of the map.

I loved the soundbites though, ‘miner scum’ and all! :D

27. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    At the end of the day it simply boils down to the type of game that you like.

For me Half Life 2 is by far the best FPS i've played and that list includes the UT, UC & Unreal games, both Halo games, FarCry, countless WW2 games(MOH, CoD, DOD, Wolfenstein, BF1942), countless Vietnam games, Counterstrike, Half Life, the Quake games, chronicles of riddick, the various Star Wars FPS titles, the 3 Doom games, Duke Nuke em, Heretic, Hexen, the Deus Ex games and no doubt loads that I can't remember either.

I just felt that it was a superb game that kept me hooked from start to finish, looking & playing great throughout. Also don't forget that you get CS:S and hopefully one day DOD:S for Multiplayer action. :smashin:

28. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My god I forgot about DOD. What an awesome game that was. I used to play that game for hours on end....

DOD Source will be unbelievable, definately worth buying a copy of HL2 for.

29. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    So it seems opinion is pretty mixed on this one, I'm now on the look out for a cheap Halo and maybe even CoR (not too fussy about Live), sounds like it's still worth playing through these.

I've gone off the Doom3 idea, but still keen on HL2, when it does get released I'll just buy it from Game for the 10 day gaurantee. TBH I think HL2's gonna suit me as I'm not too keen on the more hectic games, must be getting old ;) . For instance I just couldn't play Timesplitters no matter how hard I tried :suicide: .

Thanks for the opinions all, I hate buying games only to have to sell them again 2 weeks later :rolleyes:

30. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Indeed. My favourite FPS (if it can be called that) is Metroid Prime. :)