Question Will good 4k hdr tvs become more affordable?

They sent an email saying, "Warranty is not on a name, so can be used by anyone who claims the ownership. Warranty has started from 1st of January 2020 for 5 years."

Also, they attached a few photos, "The marks look like scratch, they are actually bubbles. I didn’t remove plastic cover basically it’s in excellent condition."

Should I request for that to be done by the seller before buying? Or do you mean that I should contact Currys and ask them?
The latter, although it might be on the original bill of sale that the seller will have to provide (or maybe it’s somewhere on Currys website).
You’ll need a ‘contract’ transferring ownership that you both sign and date (although probably not legally binding in court) as is sold as seen (which the seller will want to add) and that there is no warranty implied beyond that which is provided by the retailer

The latter, although it might be on the original bill of sale that the seller will have to provide (or maybe it’s somewhere on Currys website).
You’ll need a ‘contract’ transferring ownership that you both sign and date (although probably not legally binding in court) as is sold as seen (which the seller will want to add) and that there is no warranty implied beyond that which is provided by the retailer

So I went to Currys and they told me that all I have to do is call a number (which they provided) to transfer warranty. Of course, it would have to be done by the seller, so either I pay and get it confirmed, or I pay and have it done while I'm at the location with the seller. The seller did mention that they paid an extra £130 for warranty, but that's not in the original description.

Sounds like you just have to agree with the seller.
Personally I wouldn’t spend that much on a used TV on a private sale but up to you

Sounds like you just have to agree with the seller.
Personally I wouldn’t spend that much on a used TV on a private sale but up to you

How much would you spend? I tried to ask for £650 but they wouldn't go that low.

How much would you spend? I tried to ask for £650 but they wouldn't go that low.
Couple of hundred but clearly not for such a TV. I’d buy new or at a minimum, a warrantied refurb direct from the manufacturer.
If you want that one, you’ll need to pay what the seller wants for it.
Don’t think I’ve ever spent more than £300 on used electronics but to each their own

Sony Centre do the same TVs as refurbs with a 5 year warranty. I was offered, over the telephone, £780 with the warranty.

Couple of hundred but clearly not for such a TV. I’d buy new or at a minimum, a warrantied refurb direct from the manufacturer.
If you want that one, you’ll need to pay what the seller wants for it.
Don’t think I’ve ever spent more than £300 on used electronics but to each their own

I see. Well, it's £900-999 brand new with 5 years warranty or £750 refurbished with one year warranty with the option to extend. As long as the TV is in the condition as described by the seller and the remaining 4 years of warranty gets transferred, then I'm not sure if I'd be able to get a better deal for this TV or similar.

Guys, I can potentially get the 55xg9505 used with 4 years warranty for £700 off eBay. The warranty is with Currys. Is this a good idea?

I've asked for more photos Sony BRAVIA XG9505 55 inch QLED TV | eBay

The television model is very good but I would be wary about parting with any money before seeing it and testing it in the flesh first. Also get Curry's to confirm they will allow the warranty to transfer to you. It's not a great price second hand but there are very few new units available in shops.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The television model is very good but I would be wary about parting with any money before seeing it and testing it in the flesh first. Also get Curry's to confirm they will allow the warranty to transfer to you. It's not a great price second hand but there are very few new units available in shops.

They've shown me the receipt too which I'll call Currys tomorrow to check how it can be transferred. If anything, I'll ask the seller if I can test the item first and if I'm happy, make the payment through paypal to get protectin from ebay and transfer the warranty before leaving the seller's residence. I don't really see a better deal for the money.

They've shown me the receipt too which I'll call Currys tomorrow to check how it can be transferred. If anything, I'll ask the seller if I can test the item first and if I'm happy, make the payment through paypal to get protectin from ebay and transfer the warranty before leaving the seller's residence. I don't really see a better deal for the money.

That's true. I'm inherently suspicious of ebay sales but this looks like a private seller so hopefully it's all above board. They clearly don't know much about what they have though as it's down at QLED which is a Samsung term.

wohnjick The Hisense 55U8QF is down to £744.99 on Costco. Richer Sounds may price match and beat if you call them, getting you to that £700 figure (if you cant wait until BF)

That's true. I'm inherently suspicious of ebay sales but this looks like a private seller so hopefully it's all above board. They clearly don't know much about what they have though as it's down at QLED which is a Samsung term.

I noticed that too. Should I ask about the reason of sale? They clearly know it's an expensive TV though.

I noticed that too. Should I ask about the reason of sale? They clearly know it's an expensive TV though.

I'd ask as much as possible. If you get a sniff of anything out of place walk away. You will see them for sale on the Sony refurb site and I'd definitely prefer a Sony warranty over a Curry's warranty.

wohnjick The Hisense 55U8QF is down to £744.99 on Costco. Richer Sounds may price match and beat if you call them, getting you to that £700 figure (if you cant wait until BF)

I can definitely wait, it's just that this eBay deal just happened to come up now. What advantage would I get with the hisense over the sony?

I'd ask as much as possible. If you get a sniff of anything out of place walk away. You will see them for sale on the Sony refurb site and I'd definitely prefer a Sony warranty over a Curry's warranty.

Sony website is at least £750 with only one year warranty and my local stores won't do any further deals.

I can definitely wait, it's just that this eBay deal just happened to come up now. What advantage would I get with the hisense over the sony?

On paper you get more for your money BUT there are quite a few drawbacks. Having been a Hisense owner for a couple of years before it became faulty the picture quality on the U7A was very impressive but HDR wasn't very good and I hated the operating system and the fact you struggled to get all the usual apps. The U8Q is a very impressive spec'd set for the money but have a watch of this as it's not as great in reality but definitely the best you can get for the money. The XG95 would be a much better set though.

Sony website is at least £750 with only one year warranty and my local stores won't do any further deals.

You can bump it up to a 5 year for between £70-100 which is a bargain really. I've had to call in my sony warranty three times in the last five years and the service has been nearly faultless.

You can bump it up to a 5 year for between £70-100 which is a bargain really. I've had to call in my sony warranty three times in the last five years and the service has been nearly faultless.

I asked the seller why they're selling, if they realise how good the TV is, that qled is a Samsung thing... They replied that the TV is great, but they want a 75 inch instead. I guess that's fair enough?

£700 off random bloke on ebay vs £820 from a Sony Centre with an extra year warranty.

My money wouldn't be going to ebay.

This goes back to the problem of me not thinking a TV should be worth more than £700 lol.

I use to be the same but honestly the quality you see if real with these higher end panels. As with most things in life you can and do sometimes stumble across a bargain, but often there is another reason for the sale. As SBob says, my money would be going to the Sony Centre even though it's more money, the 5 year warranty with them is well, well worth the extra.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom