Question Will good 4k hdr tvs become more affordable?

wohnjick

Novice Member
I use to be the same but honestly the quality you see if real with these higher end panels. As with most things in life you can and do sometimes stumble across a bargain, but often there is another reason for the sale. As SBob says, my money would be going to the Sony Centre even though it's more money, the 5 year warranty with them is well, well worth the extra.
I understand, although I wouldn't necessarily consider the eBay one to be an amazing bargain, even if it comes with warranty. I wouldn't expect a private seller to be able to charge the same price as a company, especially if they're not dealing with the repairs and warranty.

wohnjick

Novice Member
It also has the benefit of you'll never have to deal with Currys.

(Note - I fudging hate Currys..... and I don't mean spicy food)

In that case I wholeheartedly recommend this - LG OLED88Z9PLA Smart OLED Television

A touch above budget, but it's da bomb.
What's wrong with Currys? My family have purchased various items from them over the years.

Btw, thanks for the TV recommendation. I've never seen a better deal in my life.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
What's wrong with Currys?
Where do I start?

Have a read through this site using Currys as a search term and you'll get the idea.

They're a terrible company who has staff who are only trained to sell overpriced add-ons and know little about the products they sell.
Their customer service is terrible. You'll see this when you have a real problem*. The managers will try to fob you off rather than actually knowing what the law is, their head office gives you the runaround, they don't take ownership of problems and actually give out phone numbers and email addresses that don't work for customer service.

How they survived to become the last bricks and mortar electrical retailer when all the others went bust is beyond me.

*Currys PCworld Team Knowhow Service....

wohnjick

Novice Member
Where do I start?

Have a read through this site using Currys as a search term and you'll get the idea.

They're a terrible company who has staff who are only trained to sell overpriced add-ons and know little about the products they sell.
Their customer service is terrible. You'll see this when you have a real problem*. The managers will try to fob you off rather than actually knowing what the law is, their head office gives you the runaround, they don't take ownership of problems and actually give out phone numbers and email addresses that don't work for customer service.

How they survived to become the last bricks and mortar electrical retailer when all the others went bust is beyond me.

*Currys PCworld Team Knowhow Service....
Is this a recent problem as I've had repairs and replacements done by them within the past 10-15 years and I don't remember complaining. I'll have a look through the thread to see if I can actually deduce that their service is genuinely terrible now based on the comments.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Is this a recent problem as I've had repairs and replacements done by them within the past 10-15 years and I don't remember complaining. I'll have a look through the thread to see if I can actually deduce that their service is genuinely terrible now based on the comments.
I only ever buy AV from Richer Sounds. They'll price match, give a 6 year warranty on televisions and their customer service at all stages is superb.

wohnjick

Novice Member
I only ever buy AV from Richer Sounds. They'll price match, give a 6 year warranty on televisions and their customer service at all stages is superb.
I've decided not go with the ebay deal due to worrying about currys. I called richersounds to ask for a pricematch with costco, but unfortunately they (rs) don't currently have anything in stock until the 20th. My idea was to purchase the tv, try the hdr experience and return it within 14 days to get a good idea what to expect. The only extra charge would be £15. Or, perhaps I can even do something similar like that with the xg9505 on centresdirect.

Would that be a good idea?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom