will going 7.1 be worth it for me

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by robbie130280, Feb 6, 2014.

1. robbie130280

robbie130280
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I am planning to update my man cave/ spare bedroom very soon. I'm replacing pretty much everything but cant decide if its worth going 7.1 with the back wall being so close to the listening position. Here's the room layout
    [​IMG]

I've seen that THX recommend having the two rears next to each other. Could I get away with this? Also after doing some searches I've seen people in similar situations being recommended to try just a single rear in the centre.

I'm just looking for what will sound best.

Thanks. Rob

2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'd say it depends on how good your speakers already are. Spreading your budget over 7 speakers rather than 5 risks lowering the quality of all the speakers and that quality is unlikely to be recovered though quantity.

3. robbie130280

robbie130280
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for your response. I currently have some fairly high spec gear as can be seen in my sig. However I've been unable to find a HTM4 centre to match my 805s and so am selling almost everything and starting again. Buying the extra one or two speakers for the rear wall will not reduce the amount to spend on the other speakers. I'm looking to spend about £500 - £600 on each rear pair, would the increase in performance be worth spending that much?

4. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Well I'm probably not the best to ask as I've reverted to stereo (2.1). So I think it depends on what you watch/listen too and what you feel is currently missing. My view would be that its not going to make much difference in the confined space available to you.