Will go-faster stripes affect insurance?

Artie Fufkin

Hi,

My daughter, 18 just passed her test, has a lovely white '97 Suzuki Swift and is keen to put her own mark on it by adding some kind of graphics to the body.

Will putting stripes/stickers on a car affect the insurance cost though? I'm guessing it IS a modification, so it would need to be disclosed and would increase her premium.

v CJ v

From my understanding ANY modification needs to be stated. The stripes could encourage 'boy racers' to race her, resulting in an accident, or it could be targeted for a break in, so i assume it will affect the premium.
Maybe smaller stickers would give it a personal touch? My Fiancee' has a small Roxy sticker in each side rear quater window.

JamesCTR

Tell the insurance EVERYTHING. They will try to squirm out of ANYTHING if they "have" to pay out.

Ian J

Banned
It shouldn't affect her premiums but it could affetct the resale price of the car as it would reduce the number of people that it would appeal to.

The insurance companies are interested in people who not only modify their cars to make them perform better but also those who put items on their car to make them look as if they might perform better.

I have just bought a Mercedes SL350 and the previous owner had taken off the logo on the boot and replaced it with SL500 and also put V8 stickers on the side. If unreported this could have invalidated my insurance if the insurance company thought that the risk of it being stolen had increased by the owner trying to pretend that it was something that it was not.

I had the supplying dealer remove them and put the original ones back

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Insurance companies are :censored: 's at the end of the day - if they can, they will wriggle out of paying out ANY money!

As Ian said, they will charge for mods that make a car perform better or look like it can perform better - when I was 18 I had an XR3i that I added bodykit parts too to make it look like and RS Turbo - even tho it was far less powerfull, it pretty much cost the same to insure as it would an RS Turbo!

Later I had an RS Turbo, and the suspension and breaks were rubbish. For the same money as factory stuff, I put on much better, ie SAFER, items : better, more modern suspension, and bigger breaks that would stop me quicker. Again the insurance went UP even tho the car was MORE safe....

Not had a car for several years no, and don't miss paying insurance at all! Never ever once claimed for anything on my insurance in my life, but always got screwed for it every year anyway....

Drd

If you go to confused.com you can get quotes.At one point it asks has the vehicle been modified.If you state it has,then later you have a page full of possible modifications with tick boxes.You can then do the same without the mods and you will get some idea of the price difference.My son was considering window tinting,confused.com soon put him off the idea!

On a similar vein to Ian J's SL,I owned an early Mondeo V6,when few people recognised them,and rebadged it.The insurance company were twitchy until I explained it was badged as a TDi so as to be less attractive when parked in some of the less salubrious areas I had to travel to in those days.I suspect it had a few people visiting Ford garages to test drive the diesel Mondeos after I had blasted past them:)

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Ring your insurance and ask them, it shouldnt make any difference but like mentioned before insurance companys can be strange and funny about what a modification is. Stickers on a car shouldnt make any difference, you dont pay more if your car is ferrari red for example which may be more desirable then a black car so why should graphics make any difference. I plan to make my mk1 mr2 a track car which will involve stripping it out, Roll cage and lots of graphics including a custom paint job. If anything it'll be less likely to be stolen as you could spot it a mile away. Do i have to tell them i have bucket seats? performance brake pads? Added a roll cage for safety? The color is no longer red?

Torpedo

It's not only mods that make it go faster or make it look like it goes faster. I was charged extra on my premium because I specified leather seats on my last car, as an optional extra. Because they did not come 'as standard', they were classed as a modication :mad: Their excuse was that leather made my car more attractive to thieves :mad::mad:

wonderloaf

As everyone has said, tell the insurance company everything, it's not worth the risk. My problem is that I can't work their logic out....a few months ago I put a set of those Lexus style rear lights on my Peugeot (the same one's that Peugeot themselves would fit apparently), all CE approved, perfect working order, etc and got charged an extra £30 for the privilege, but the induction kit on my wife's Honda only added another £20 to her policy. Would have thought the extra horsepower from the induction kit (although it's not much) would have been more dangerous/higher risk than a the rear lights :confused:

Golf_turbo

As everyone has said, tell the insurance company everything, it's not worth the risk. My problem is that I can't work their logic out....a few months ago I put a set of those Lexus style rear lights on my Peugeot (the same one's that Peugeot themselves would fit apparently), all CE approved, perfect working order, etc and got charged an extra £30 for the privilege, but the induction kit on my wife's Honda only added another £20 to her policy. Would have thought the extra horsepower from the induction kit (although it's not much) would have been more dangerous/higher risk than a the rear lights :confused:

+1

on my insurance they asked about any stickers on my car LOL

Beobloke

You should always ring the insurance company and check - the time to find out that they will not cover the vehicle with the modifications added is NOT when you've just stuffed it up the back of someone else in a traffic queue!

Personally i don't know about the insurance, but the mentioned mods should definitely adversely affect her street cred, if her friends have any taste........:D

Artie Fufkin

Thanks for the replies.

My daughter has just been on the phone to her insurers [Quinn]. The lady she spoke to said that their policy is that if it is a cosmetic alteration it doesn't matter - indeed they don't even want to be informed of it. She can tint the windows, paint flames up the side, get a colour changing paint job and they don't mind. :thumbsup:

They only want to know of any physical performance modifications.

Seemingly they were very clear about this.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom