• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Will glass beaded screen make my projected image look more like an LCD TV picture?

I've tried a couple of projectors now both were HD one 720 the other full hd 1080p but the picture quality just doesn't enter the same league as my 40" LCD TV

Every aspect of the image is of lower quality (90" projected image) is it simply that projectors can't match up? or am I too close (11 feet seating distance)

Would a glass beaded screen make a huge difference because to me these projectors don't look any where near HD

I want a big screen but not if the picture quality is this much of a compromise, one of the projectors was old - the Sanyo Z5 and the other was the Optoma HD131x full hd

From all the research I'd done the HD131x should have been brilliant but the Z5 was actually a bit better, madness

I'm projecting onto a magnolia wall very smooth will a screen make much difference?

I've read a lot folks and I see that glass beaded screens have a gain of 2.5 which should make a difference surely

Am I missing something or are projectors just a lesser picture because they're so big?

The lcd tv that I'm using is the sharp aquos le40le831 and is the best image I've ever seen and I've tried many LCD TV's in shops over the years

Thanks

Last edited:

Sandra51

There's no way an LCD TV can come anywhere near the quality of picture of a HD projector. Even a top of the range plasma cant. You would need a CRT or maybe the new OLED TVs may finally equal or better CRT TVs but CRT TVs never came big enough.
I think you need to use a screen or maybe adjust the focus of the projector as something is not set up right with your projector/s, unless you have a room that's totally unusable for a projector with brilliant sunlight streaming in through the windows.

Last edited:
There's no way an LCD TV can come anywhere near the quality of picture of a HD projector. Even a top of the range plasma cant. You would need a CRT or maybe the new OLED TVs may finally equal or better CRT TVs but CRT TVs never came big enough.
I think you need to use a screen or maybe adjust the focus of the projector as something is not set up right with your projector/s, unless you have a room that's totally unusable for a projector with brilliant sunlight streaming in through the windows.

are you sure? the LCD is so much more vivid,sharp and full of life I'm talking about virtually no light I wouldn't try use a projector with any light in the room really

I think perhaps a screen may help as you suggest

thanks

timhet

Standard Member
I saw a Da-Lite HP 2.4 gain screen with a JVC HD750 on a 106" screen and it looked like a plasma on the wall. The black shelf was elevated, so blacks looked grey when the screen was completely blank, but when you had whites and blacks on the screen at once, it looks black and white.

I thought it looked amazing.

Having said that, getting between 12-16 Foot lamberts is fine too.

Blacksky

Standard Member
Hello, I'm looking at maybe getting a glass bead screen. I don't mind if it is automatic or not (I'd prefer not) but I'm looking for something that is going to give a super-high quality picture with no edge curl. Can anyone advise me as to some brands I might try?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom