1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Gallo's make good rear speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by danfrance110, Nov 6, 2003.

1. danfrance110

danfrance110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have around £750 to spend on 3 or 4 rear speakers but they need to be small and discrete. I have B&W 603s and LCR600 up front but the smaller speakers in the b&w range are just a bit too big. Anybody know if the nucleus micros would work well as rears with my current set up or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks

Dan

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I dont think micros will work with B&W fronts. Maybe look at VM1 or leisure monitors or perhaps some dipoles as they are generally smaller than standard speakers

3. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan

I've read this thread a couple of times and for the life of me can't think why the AG NMs wouldn't work with B&W's. Ok they may not be "tonally matched" but don't think the VM1's would be any better a match than the NMs. Besides do fronts and rears need to be that well "matched"? I dunno. Coming to think of it one problem you may have is the comparatively high (100hz) cross over that are best for the Micro's. Though they do perform quite well at 80Hz as well.

If your av amp is not able to select different crossovers for different speakers (most aren't AFAIK) then you would have to cross all your speakers at either 100 or 80 hz, losing a lot of your bottom end "welly" from your 603's. Although 80hz is the THX crossover anyway.

I changed from B&W's (though 601's) to NM's, you might be very surprised by their performance in comparison.

4. danfrance110

danfrance110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dazed, thanks for your comments. To be honest I don't really understand the crossover thing but I have an ASW650 sub aswell as my 603s so will it matter too much with movies if I lose some bottom end from my 603s as the sub will be handling most of the lower frequencies right?

Dan

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I just kept using my missions as rear while using with B&W 602 s3 and lrc60. They are wall mountable and have a smallish foot print so shouldn't impose to much. They complement the b&W's well and are very well priced at around £130 here:-

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0-Hij31l-KxW&vp=6&bg=216&bp=7db&bi=0

I still have them in my current set up as i've never felt the need to replacing them. My rear centre is the mission centre speaker found in the m71/72 package so is a good match for the rears (see my sig for full set up).

6. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan

In an AV setup you'ld want the sub to take as much of the LFE strain as possible. With as capable a sub as the B&W I would have no worries about losing the bottom on your 603's and using the sub to provide the bass. When you get everything setup I would set all speakers to small, crossing over at 80 or 100 hz. The crossover in this case, merely "selects" all of the signal below a certain frequency and passes it to the sub.

Your 603's will also actually sound better, the sub will do all the hard work enabling your 603's to perform to their best.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the reason i dont think it would work is that the B&W have a very warm and Full sound and gallos have a very bright sound in comparison also i think the subwoofer set up will be very difficult, what you are effectively tryiong to do is integrate satellites into a full range system which i think will sound and look odd. For discrete rear and surround speakers look at B&W CI range, or as suggested by Hawklord normal rear speakers