Will Freeview work with a TV without a scart socket

CornishPasty79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to go over a topic that's already been covered countless times but I'm really confused about whether I can get Freeview to work with my TV. It's an old Sanyo TV which doesn't have a scart socket but does have a white audio input and a yellow video input. I'm confused because the majority of posts I've read here and elsewhere have stated that Freeview will only work with a TV without scart if the Freeview box has a built in RF modulator or if a seperate modulator is used. I've also read one or two posts that have said a scart to phono convertor can be used if the inputs are available on the TV. Am I correct in thinking I can get a Freeview box without an RF modulator and use a scart to phono convertor with my TV?

Thanks for your time and help.

Never heard of one, and boy that must be an old TV.

Cornish_Pasty said:
Am I correct in thinking I can get a Freeview box without an RF modulator and use a scart to phono convertor with my TV?
Yes. You can either use a Freeview box that has an RF modulator (not to be confused with RF passthrough) and plug it on to your aerial input on your TV or you can buy a SCART to composite (yellow) and audio (red/white) phono. Some Freeview boxes have an audio mono/stereo option for TV out so you only need to use either red or white audio lead into your TV.

Or, if you have a video recorder, use its modulator.
You can connect via the Freeview box's SCART to the VCR's A/V input SCART and use the VCR's RF (coaxial) output to connect to the TV's aerial input.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Andy98765 said:
Never heard of one, and boy that must be an old TV.
Yep. It's about 16 or 17 years old. Still works so I've no need to replace it yet. Hopefully it'll go bang sooner or later :)

ianh64 said:
Yes. You can either use a Freeview box that has an RF modulator (not to be confused with RF passthrough) and plug it on to your aerial input on your TV or you can buy a SCART to composite (yellow) and audio (red/white) phono. Some Freeview boxes have an audio mono/stereo option for TV out so you only need to use either red or white audio lead into your TV.
Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Wharfedale DV832B that's sold in Argos so hopefully that'll let me change the output to mono.

Chris Muriel said:
Or, if you have a video recorder, use its modulator.
You can connect via the Freeview box's SCART to the VCR's A/V input SCART and use the VCR's RF (coaxial) output to connect to the TV's aerial input.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
Haven't got a video player but thanks for the suggestion.

If you have a TV without a SCART socket and wish to receive digital TV you should try the Micro Freeview Receiver from TVonics.
The MFR-200 is very small, and has all the functions of a standard freeview box. I tried it and it worked first time. Cheaper than some others at under £40.

If you have a TV without a SCART socket and wish to receive digital TV you should try the Micro Freeview Receiver from TVonics.
The MFR-200 is very small, and has all the functions of a standard freeview box. I tried it and it worked first time. Cheaper than some others at under £40.

Welcome to the forum:)

Considering this thread is almost two years old, and the OP has only posted here twice since then, he most likely has a new TV (probably Sony or LG:cool:) with a Freeview tuner.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom