Will Freeview work with a TV without a scart socket

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by cornishpasty79, Aug 11, 2006.

1. cornishpasty79

cornishpasty79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Sorry to go over a topic that's already been covered countless times but I'm really confused about whether I can get Freeview to work with my TV. It's an old Sanyo TV which doesn't have a scart socket but does have a white audio input and a yellow video input. I'm confused because the majority of posts I've read here and elsewhere have stated that Freeview will only work with a TV without scart if the Freeview box has a built in RF modulator or if a seperate modulator is used. I've also read one or two posts that have said a scart to phono convertor can be used if the inputs are available on the TV. Am I correct in thinking I can get a Freeview box without an RF modulator and use a scart to phono convertor with my TV?

Thanks for your time and help.

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    Never heard of one, and boy that must be an old TV.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Yes. You can either use a Freeview box that has an RF modulator (not to be confused with RF passthrough) and plug it on to your aerial input on your TV or you can buy a SCART to composite (yellow) and audio (red/white) phono. Some Freeview boxes have an audio mono/stereo option for TV out so you only need to use either red or white audio lead into your TV.

4. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Or, if you have a video recorder, use its modulator.
    You can connect via the Freeview box's SCART to the VCR's A/V input SCART and use the VCR's RF (coaxial) output to connect to the TV's aerial input.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

5. cornishpasty79

cornishpasty79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep. It's about 16 or 17 years old. Still works so I've no need to replace it yet. Hopefully it'll go bang sooner or later :)

Thanks for the information. I was looking at the Wharfedale DV832B that's sold in Argos so hopefully that'll let me change the output to mono.

Haven't got a video player but thanks for the suggestion.

6. Noremac

Noremac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a TV without a SCART socket and wish to receive digital TV you should try the Micro Freeview Receiver from TVonics.
    The MFR-200 is very small, and has all the functions of a standard freeview box. I tried it and it worked first time. Cheaper than some others at under £40.

7. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Welcome to the forum:)

Considering this thread is almost two years old, and the OP has only posted here twice since then, he most likely has a new TV (probably Sony or LG:cool:) with a Freeview tuner.