1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will freeview boxes / tuners support HD TV ?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by mjw123, Aug 31, 2005.

1. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm looking at buying an HD ready LCD TV and was wondering if the current freeview boxes will support HD TV when it comes along ?

If not will I need to buy a HD ready freeview box ?.....I guess the HD ready LCD's with tuners built in will be ok.

I own a pace twin - would that be ok to display and record HD ?

Grief it's a complex old carry on !! :suicide:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The current range of DTT boxes will not support HD in any form.
    If anyone is mad enough to consider broadcasting HD on DTT then a brand new STB will be required that can handle the mugh higher mpeg2 bitrates that HD would require or be based on a mpeg4 chipset to take advantage of more advanced compression.
    The STB would also need component, HDMI and optical/digital coaxial to cover all the possible video/audio requirments.

I would not expect any display to incorporate a HD capable tuner/decoder, you won't see that until someone (probably the BBC) ratify a HD spec for the platform since unlike the US high defintion services it is not supported by the government or it's regulators.

The PACE twin like all DTT boxes is useless for High Def.

3. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So effectively the HD LCD TV's with built in tuners are a complete waste of time as the tuner will not handle HD signal........

Short term I may as well just stick with my Pace Twin until HD stb's become available.

In reality HD TV's are unuseable at the moment (in HD mode) until HD DVD players, stb's and Xbox 360 come along - Not interested in sky as I refuse to get fleeced by Murdoch each month.

When are HD DVD players expected ?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    LCD's and other higher resolution displays have internal scalers which take the signal from either an internal analogue or digital tuner and matches it to the screen resolution. Depending upon the quality of the channel/program you can get some very good pictures on a large flat panel.

Well at the mo I am feeding my LCD with high definition video via my PC but there is EURO1080 which provides HD across Europe and of course SKY will launch HD early next year. Technical limitations of DTT will mean no viable HD on there for a good few years yet but you should see a FTA STB for satellite use and I would be surprised if the BBC are not broadcasting FTA on Dsat sooner rather than later.
    There are also a number of DVD players that have upscaling hardware built in and do a good job for a reasonable price in improving the already good picture quality of DVD's. Mind you most decent flat panels do a good job on DVD especially when connected via component and using progressive scan.

HD-DVD players may make an appearence in the US this xmas, rumoured to be around $1000 with a handful of movies. Don't expect an official UK launch for quite a while after that and at a price point that makes you go :eek:

Don't forget there will also be a format war between HD-DVD and Blu-ray which complicates things even further:(