Will Freesat replace Freeview

benny5

Don’t know too much about the latest developments in this area so perhaps the more informed amongst the forum can assist.

In the longer term, say 3 to 4 years, will Freesat replace Freeview as the carrier of most free to view station output.

I ask this as I currently have an ageing Arial a relatively new, though not HD, TV, DVD recorder and standard Set Top Box. I am considering a twin tuner STB with hard drive to provide greater flexibility. Should I just wait if Freesat is the way forward.

Many Thanks.

StevieBuck

If you care to check the Freeview and Freesat websites you'll see that Freesat already offers far more channels than Freeview - and I'm pretty sure it has done since launch.

Going for Freesat though costs more - i.e you need a dish installed and require individual satellite feeds/recievers in each room that you want to watch dofferent channels in.

Freeview only requires a single aerial and this signal can be fed around your house and used by all the TVs you have.

So essentially, satellite is a premium service and if you want it you have to spend that little bit more cash.

Last edited:

mannyo

I dont see it ever replacing freeview but more as an additional service.

In the same way that not everyone can receive freeview, the same is true of freesat. Not all properties in the UK are positioned in such a way that its possible to fit a dish to the side of the property and get a perfect allignment with the astra satalites with a perfectly clear line of site. If you dont get a clear line to the satalites then no reception is possible. Also some by laws, and property agreements prohibit the installation of dishes to properties.

satbunny

Standard Member
I think both will run alongside each other. We might still see Sky make a push into DTT, maybe buying TopUpTv or even [shock horror] turning Sky3 into a general entertainment channel.

I suspect that if you want HD then Freesat maybe the best platform for you, altho' HD may well come for Freeview it'll take time, and Freesat has HD now.

benny5

Thank you both.

I now feel more assured about my potential investment. I was planning on purchasing a Humax 9200 (seen the odd one about) or the 9150, but that also appears in short supply, does this suggest end of production on the part of Humax.

Regards

Benny.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
I think the 9200 has reached the end of production, but the 9150 and 9300 will be with us for at least the current year, until FreeviewHD PVRs are launched.

scribbler101

Thank you both.

I now feel more assured about my potential investment. I was planning on purchasing a Humax 9200 (seen the odd one about) or the 9150, but that also appears in short supply, does this suggest end of production on the part of Humax.

Regards

Benny.
You have a simple choice. Buy now and accept that it will be obsolete come HD, or put up and wait.

I recently bought a 250GB HDD twin digital tuner - but mainly because it cost me <£30. If my Sony Trinitron CRT TV lasts I will wait to buy a flat screen. Plus, the room is too big to put a TV on wall.

benny5

Having read a number of reviews on the 9150/9300, one issue that is constantly raised is EPG loading delays. Some mention up to 10 minutes each time the unit is switched on, is this common to all PVR’s or just Humax. I currently have a Sony VTX-D800 STB linked up with a Panasonic DMR-E50 and the display is instantaneous.

One other point can the recordings on the 9150/9300 HD be copied to a disk on the DVD recorder via the SCART interface.

Thank you once again.

Benny.

benny5

Hi, I'm back again.

Happened to be in a local Curry's today and say a Humax 9200 for £79.99, the only downside was it was a 'unit only' deal, no cables, remote, disk, box or manuals. No idea how old it was.

Does it seem value for money.

Benny.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
one issue that is constantly raised is EPG loading delays. Some mention up to 10 minutes each time the unit is switched on, is this common to all PVR's or just Humax.
That is common to all the Humax PVRs and any other receiver/recorder which unpowers the memory and stops receiving signal whilst in standby. Some receivers stay effectively "on" even when appearing to be in standby and retain/maintain the EPG with a consequential impact on power usage.
One other point can the recordings on the 9150/9300 HD be copied to a disk on the DVD recorder via the SCART interface.
Yes you can record to a DVD recorder video from the scart output of most things, be they satellite, VCR, Freeview STB or playback from a PVR. Bear in mind that onscreen messages output by the PVR during playback will also appear on the recorded DVD - perform your copying when no recordings are scheduled.
Hi, I'm back again.

Happened to be in a local Curry's today and say a Humax 9200 for £79.99, the only downside was it was a 'unit only' deal, no cables, remote, disk, box or manuals. No idea how old it was.

Does it seem value for money.

Benny.
Argos sold off their stock of 9200s at £90, that was boxed-complete. Often Humax Direct have some (graded, possible a better bet than Currys ex-display which is surely that one's history), price is £100 complete. In that context £80 for just the unit seems expensive. It would cost you £30 for a real remote (or £10 for a compatible unit, maybe free if you have a universal handset with the Humax PVR codes in database - mine does), scart and aerial cables maybe £1-£10 if not already owned. Software and user guide download from Humax Support.
I'd try real hard to beat them down, or walk away.

Last edited:

techno12

Don't know too much about the latest developments in this area so perhaps the more informed amongst the forum can assist.

In the longer term, say 3 to 4 years, will Freesat replace Freeview as the carrier of most free to view station output.

Dunno, but in the 3-4 year timeframe I'd imagine most output will be via the 'net, as well as Freeview and Freesat.

I watch 99% of my TV via the internet (downloaded, in 720p if available) and almost never watch it live. Of course, slightly biased as I have a great big tree blocking the line of sight from my (indoor) dish so I can't receive Sat anyway, but really, a 3 minute download is the way to go (via UKNova etc, a perfectly legitimate site before anyone whinges). Mind you, there's never any Price Drop TV etc to download ;-)

It's the way everything's going... I bought a Blu-Ray player but I've used it only a few times, so been a bit of a waste of money, as it's far more convenient to watch material on my Popcorn Hour (no physical discs required - it's all there via a click of the remote)

Last edited:

scribbler101

"Dunno, but in the 3-4 year timeframe I'd imagine most output will be via the 'net,"

It may be available via the net, but the net will not have the capacity to carry most TV - let alone at HD.

benny5

Argos sold off their stock of 9200s at £90, that was boxed-complete. Often Humax Direct have some (graded, possible a better bet than Currys ex-display which is surely that one's history), price is £100 complete. In that context £80 for just the unit seems expensive. It would cost you £30 for a real remote (or £10 for a compatible unit, maybe free if you have a universal handset with the Humax PVR codes in database - mine does), scart and aerial cables maybe £1-£10 if not already owned. Software and user guide download from Humax Support.
I'd try real hard to beat them down, or walk away.

Thanks for your detailed reply.
As for the above, you are absolutely spot on; the Humax site has Grade A 9200's for £96.89 plus £5 delivery. Seems a much better bet.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
i don't think freesat will take over from freeview as i for one like watching sky sports news and that for me has made me plumb for freeview even when i have an existing satellite dish on the side of the house.

yes free sat will have more HD in the long run but until it has sky sports new count me a member of the freeview camp

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
i don't think freesat will take over from freeview as i for one like watching sky sports news and that for me has made me plumb for freeview even when i have an existing satellite dish on the side of the house.

yes free sat will have more HD in the long run but until it has sky sports new count me a member of the freeview camp

You can get sky sports news on any freesat box by switching to non freesat mode and adding it the non freesat channel list. Not very convenient I know but the info might be usefull to freesat owners

Starburst

Distinguished Member
You can get sky sports news on any freesat box by switching to non freesat mode and adding it the non freesat channel list. Not very convenient I know but the info might be usefull to freesat owners

Shouldn't be able to since all versions are encrypted and it's one of the few channels that are still FTV, do you have the tuning specs of the feed?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom