Will flat TV sets ever be better than CRT?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by SWIN, Feb 22, 2014.

1. SWIN

SWIN
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Provocative title, indeed.

But, I am still sitting in front of a CRT TV, to be specific, a Philips 36PW9765/12R.

And, I really still enjoy the outstanding picture quality.

Had it some years now, bought it from a guy, that just had bought himself one of the then brand new Pioneer Kuro plasma sets.
    He said, only if I had room to keep it, the picture is so much better than my Pioneer.

And, it is the truth - anything slightly worse than bluray being played on a flat screen , and no HD TV I have seen beats it.

Those pesky scrolling credits at the end of a movie - no line bleed, and no blurry hesitation - just smooth movement.

Clayface, DSE, weak whites, bad contrast, clouding, viewing angel or what ever problem - no sign of it.
    Especially on moving images, where the resolution must be higher than most flat sets.

And every hair stands out clearly.

Indeed, only when showing a still image on a LCD, then you will see the difference.

Agreed, this set is better than 99% of all CRT sets ever produced - but still.

The last movie I played was "Unstoppable", having looked at the same bluray movie thru some of the best sets in a shop - but this this thing beats them all.

Close, but not better was a Panasonic plasma - the LCD´s was all worse.

For some years now, I have gone round in the shops, looking for something than will make me want to slam my wallet down, and say "Ill take that one!" - but the is nothing better out there.

At present using it with a LG freeview / HD recorder / bluray / mediaplayer type of box in RGB SCART mode.

And, enjoying every moment, and hoping it will last forever.

But, will there ever be a flat screen, that will show better moving images better than a CRT?

2. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,788
    If you are happy just watching SD, then fine, carry on. If you want to watch HD and beyond, you are deluding yourself if you think that CRT looks better than a good, properly set up LED.

Your issue might be you are looking at TVs in shops set to dynamic, high brightness modes, not a calibrated set in a domestic environment. Put your TV into a shop, fed from the same source and your CRT will look awful as well.

Your current setup will not be playing movies at 24FPS, so your sound will be at the wrong pitch (I assume) and will be downscaling content, thus removing detail.

Find a member with a calibrated screen and be prepared to be amazed!

3. ovbg

ovbg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I also disagree regarding the superior quality of SD televisions. There are no SD TVs I have seen anywhere that have the clarity I can enjoy on my HD TV.

SD television's do have a softness which smooths out poor quality video, and poor quality video on an HD TV will look pretty crap.

But a good 720p or 1080p stream looks absolutely stunning, and I am not just talking about Blu-Ray. The BBC iPlayer on HD mode on a HD TV looks far better than SD on a CRT, and that is just a 3200kbps 720p stream. The 1080p streams from Netflix or Amazon Prime look absolutely incredible and far superior to anything on SD CRT televisions.

4. ArmitageShanks

ArmitageShanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Agreed what was said. I was quite happy to get rid of my ageing Sony Wega CRT with its geometry issues and annoying magnetic interference.

Was a little apprehensive about how SD content would look on my 59" plasma, but other than the lower-order low-bitrate SD channels, everything looks great. And these days I hardly watch any SD content anyway. There's plenty of HD content available to make SD a long-forgotten memory!