Will fat PS3 fit on this shelf?

I would say not without some overhang. I have a phat and I have seen this shelf.

EDIT: In fact it will not without about 4-5 cm of overhang. The shelf is 27cm deep, the phat (inc. the power cable that prodtrudes at the back is ~30cm deep.

Last edited:
The fat PS3 is just over 27cms deep and that shelf is exactly 27cms deep, but you've gotta allow for the cables coming out of the back of the console so there will be some overhang.

Okay, thanks for that.

I did think it will add on for the cables.

Do any of you have it on a shelf? Where is it from? How much?

I'm looking to get one on a budget. Real Low budget is possible.

Not sure if this was the right place to ask either:confused:.

Last edited:
Thanks for the links, I will try a post or two.

I'm really looking for a shelf though, not a stand. But appreciate the help anyway:smashin:.

Lots of diyers in there who might be able to suggest, if no ready made options exist.

Why don't you make a template of the shelf out of cardboard?

I have a phat PS3 on an Ikea floating shelf just like this one, & it's got no chance lying flat, & that's before you plug the cables in the back. Mines upright, at about 45 degrees, & it still takes up the the whole shelf front to back.

Looks good, but you can't see the hard drive light, so when games tell you not to turn it off when the lights flashing I'm kinda stumped.

What will the template do? Just out of curiosity.

thanks for the heads up, will not be going with that shelf now.

Have seen one on homebase site, but it's just a plank of wood, no fixings, kind of lame really.

But it's the right size.

Also would really prefer floating.

He just means make a cardboard template on which to gauge how your PS3 will fit I think.

Why dont you go for the lack shelve and clad it in good quality Oak flooring panels or similar, I reckon this will give you that all important few extra centimetres of width. I'd double up the wall anchorage for the additional weight (ensure you screw into a stud).

Last edited:
The Oak flooring is just the means to get a pretty wood finish. And I simply mean cut the correct lengths and nail/glue them on top, bottom and sides of the lack shelf. With some sanding a good finish can be obtained. But you will need to strengthen the floating shelf prongs. If it is just a PS3 to sit on it, then heavier duty wall anchors (instead of smaller screws) will do.

I see you have posted in the DIY HC section a floating shelf post. They have all followed the tutorial on the first page with some excellent success. If you are confident in DIY then its a great idea. You could even improve their effort by using a planks of wood stained to your requirements.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom