**Will existing speakers work on new amp?!**

flashf1

Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums and must admit i'm here for help. I have a Sony all in one surround system DAV 500f, 1000watt system complete with the included (5x143watt & 1x285 wattsub) speakers. Now here's the thing, it was a present so can't completely get rid of it, but i want a new kick ass hmdi amp, like the Sony STRDG910B or Sony DA1200ES. My question is very simply will my existing speakers work on amps such as these? Or do i need to match them up with ohms and watts and get an amp with minumum this or maximum that and such like?? Advise will be very much appreciated, Cheers:lease:

Badger0-0

Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

Apart from your apparent Sony fanaticism ;), you don't have anything to worry about.
Pretty much any receiver will work with any speakers.
Whatever you use, just never crank it up full, is my advice.

flashf1

Cheers Badger, Sony Blu Ray and tv too now!!!! :thumbsup:

Lewis123

Novice Member
One thing to watch out for, if the Sub is passive you will need a new sub, as seperate amplifiers only have connections for active subs.

If your current sub connects with standard speaker wire (or the same connection as the other speakers) and doesnt have its own power supply, its no good.

Badger0-0

Good point and something I always seem to forget.
It's why I don't like AIOs.
The sub will no doubt have the amp included, but won't take an external sub input. Definitely something to consider.
But then, you could always upgrade to a decent sub :rolleyes:

tony_yates

Good point and something I always seem to forget.
It's why I don't like AIOs.
The sub will no doubt have the amp included, but won't take an external sub input. Definitely something to consider.
But then, you could always upgrade to a decent sub :rolleyes:
So which Sony sub? :devil: you know, just to keep things neat :hiya:

flashf1

many thanks for all off the help guys, so i need to get a new sub, an active sub. I'll get it sorted evenytually! Thx

kentish_lad

Novice Member
:nono:
Hi everyone, i'm new to the forums and must admit i'm here for help. I have a Sony all in one surround system DAV 500f, 1000watt system complete with the included (5x143watt & 1x285 wattsub) speakers. Now here's the thing, it was a present so can't completely get rid of it, but i want a new kick ass hmdi amp, like the Sony STRDG910B or Sony DA1200ES. My question is very simply will my existing speakers work on amps such as these? Or do i need to match them up with ohms and watts and get an amp with minumum this or maximum that and such like?? Advise will be very much appreciated, Cheers:lease:

The 500f speakers are 3 ohms, ive had sony amps go into 'Protection' but as previously advised dont crank it up :nono:

flashf1

Thanks Lorrich. On a slighly separate matter, i'm gonn trade my hd "ready" in for a "full hd" 46" lcd. I've a budget of €2000/£1400/$270. Can anybody tell me what seems to be my best option with 1st hand experience?? I've read mainly good things about the new Samsung LE46M87. I'll be running a sony blu ray, sky hd, and an xbox 360. Cheers for any coments guys

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom