1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DVD players with DVI sockets disappear?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by PJTX100, Jul 29, 2005.

1. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The new Samsungs now don't carry DVI, the replacement for the 1910 seems to be going HDMI too.

I know DVI and HDMI are compatible but it seems a shame to drop what seems a robust connection option.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on this...PJ :)

2. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I reckon DVI was used as the stop gap between moving from Analog Component Connections to a fully Digital Connection. At the time DVI was the readily available connection method, and since quite a few displays were based on PC tech, it wouldn't have taken much effort to add DVI to the displays as well.

But now that HDMI is becoming more mainstream, as more and more displays, and amplifiers/recievers support HDMI it will be the connection of choice, as it provides a future proof connection, of being the all digital connection carrying video and sound, yet still backwardly compatible with DVI.

It will only be a matter of time before it also replaces the dedicated Digital Audio outputs as well, which is good for the manufacturers as it lowers production costs as they only need provide one catch all digital connection, and good for users as it simplifies connectivity.

3. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    DVI kit will always be useable with HDMI only players but I share your concern about HDMI not being a particularly robust option. I still think Denons HDMI still needs time to mature (they acknowledge firmware is to blame for the majority of HDMI incompatibility) and I would like to see that improve before the reliable DVI option is removed.