1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will dts sound only go through digital cables

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by blackjack, Mar 14, 2003.

1. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've got phono leads from my dvd player to my yamaha rxv630 but can't get the dts sound to work so was wondering if i need digital cables.

thanks

BJ.

2. Silent Fly

Silent Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably yes.

If your DVD player does not support DVD-A or SACD you may want to use just the digital cable.

To do a test you can use a spare interconnect cable (coax) to connect the DVD to the Amp.

What's the model/brand of your DVD player?

3. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its a scan 2000 dvd player

pro logic plays ok.

will it be possible to have a optical and phono leads connected at the same time as i play alot off movies on svcd and i don't think the sound will go through the optical from these discs.

BJ.

4. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    DTS will work fine though analogue cables IF your DVD has a DTS decoder on-board. This is not a particularly common feature and having a DTS logo on the machine doesn't mean it will decode the signal, it might do, but often just means it will pass it on to a receiver through a digital output for an external decoder.

Your manual should tell you what your DVD player can do.

You should be fine connecting both digital and analogue cables but I would suggest digital is all you need, I'm pretty sure the sound from SVCD will be sent through it (works fine on my Tosh 520E anyway).

5. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok plugged a optical cable in and it worked, dts sound and the yammy 630 rcognised it to.

great stuff, seems the dts won't go through the phono leads.
    weather its dvd or the amp doing that i don't know seeing as you say it should do.

oh and yes the svcd sound did go through the optical cable, infact everything did that i tried.

cheers

BJ.

6. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just going to post about this - do I need to connect both digitally and analogue-ly (?) between by Pioneer 350 DVD and Denion AVR 2802? I know that digital is needed for DTS and etc. Do I need the analgue as well?

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No

8. blackjack

blackjack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    maybe i should of said that i disconnected the phono leads but like Ian said no.

not sure what discs your playing here but i did have a friend at work that couldn't play a svcd disc through his optical cable so he plugged some phono leads in and it worked ok.

so give it a try.
    BJ.

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will need the use of analogue connections if you want to listen to a non DD5.1 DTS soundtracks (just surround sound) in DTS neo6.

A few discs I have only have dolby surround, so to listen to them in DTS neo6 on my 3801 I just switch the amp over to the analouge connection, don't know if the same applies to DPL2?

I find DTS neo6 does a much better job than just plain dolby pro-logic. ;)

10. Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Why is this Bob (hope you don't mind me calling you Bob)? Will the Amp not allow the selection of certain surround modes when using the Digital Input?

11. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all, as long as you don't mind me calling you a pussy. :D

Correct.

Have found this to be the case on my 3801. When a disc has only a stereo/surround soundtrack, only DPL can be selected via the digital connection, when I select analogue on the amp I then have the option of DTS neo6. :)

12. Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Miaooooowwwwwwww :kisses:

Thanks Bobby :).

13. Jonathan West

Jonathan West

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a thought - maybe it's the DVD player not sending over digital rather than the AV Rcvr not processing it ... ?!

14. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    dts won't go through the phonos only anolgue will. Dts and dd are digital and only work through the digital part of the dvd and amp.I hope that clears things up for you

15. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also with the vast majority of players selecting DTS as the soundtrack mutes the 2 channel analogue outputs. This is because DTS cannot be downmixed in quite the same way as DD5.1