will developers take risks... such as a full kinect game?

dyspraxicowl

Established Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this or how to title it, but last night i spotted something that made me think - so i thought i would post it.

moving some stuff i spotted a fight night (round 3 i think) disk, and it got me thinking.

how good would it be if EA developed say, fight night one. a Xbox one exclusive boxing game, using only Kinect??? imagine how awesome this would be to have a full fight night game, on the one - where you control everything.

the previous games all looked and controlled well, so if you had the same amount of moves as the previous games (jabs straights hooks,uppers, power punches - even holding the opponent/covering up) as well as controlling some movement...... i have no idea how you would get up off the canvas though

it would be awesome, but i assume very hard to make and a massive risk for EA, however it would be better than the "wii sports" type game that features multiple sports - but i think it would be a showcase for the console.

the realistic part of me says EA would never go for a exclusive like this, but i guess if they did port in controller support 75% of the game could hit ps4....

would you like this?

I think that games like this would be ideal for Kinect to be honest. Also given the report that the PS Camera can match Kinect for upto 4 independent people would mean that they could reduce the risk by going cross platform.

I think controlling the movement would be best left to sidestep, swaying, ducking etc. with the game controlling the actual movement round the ring. This would allow the player to focus on the punching and avoiding moves, where as if you tried to incorporate movement without the use of an analogue stick then it could get messy.

I guess all games are a risk to some extent and there will always be a limit to how much of a risk a company will take. EA have several set franchises which sell well, but the Fight Night games did pretty well and should still sell well. They could maybe have the Kinect style fighting as an option in the game, but still provide access to the traditional type of game, using a controller as well.

One thing I did love about the Fight Night titles was their visuals. They were real eye candy games and the slo mo replays were fantastic. They would therefore be great games (like the baggy ball games are) for showing off the XB1 and PS4.

Boils down to how good Kinect 2 really is...

It may be fantastic, and allow full games without controller use (or supplementing) and be great, but i have serious reservations on anything other than looser casual games.

I mean Steel Battalion: Heavy Armour was a shocker:

How good is the accuracy - better or worse than a button press or stick movement?
How good is the input lag - better or worse than a controller?

If the answer is "Worse" then i wouldnt want it on action games.

I'm not sure fighting games would be ideal, as there's nothing to stop your fists (punching air). At least if it's just controls you dont need the feedback loop.

Last edited:
I guess so, perhaps combos could cause the other player to back off a little to get them on the ropes etc, I loved the visuals too - which is why I got the original game, especially the replays.

apparently EA have shelved it though, in favour of ufc, which I think would be harder to "fully Kinect" due to kicks etc - but in my opinion boxing would be easy as you cant kick/jump on someone.........although perhaps leaning over and making a biting motion could be coded in :)

I guess so, perhaps combos could cause the other player to back off a little to get them on the ropes etc, I loved the visuals too - which is why I got the original game, especially the replays.

apparently EA have shelved it though, in favour of ufc, which I think would be harder to "fully Kinect" due to kicks etc - but in my opinion boxing would be easy as you cant kick/jump on someone.........although perhaps leaning over and making a biting motion could be coded in :)
There was a UFC Trainer game on the original Kinect which my brother keep raving about.

Kinect 2 is supposed to be pretty good so hopefully it can pull off such a game and I do think it would be ideal, especially if the game is advanced enough to have say 100's of animations based on where the player is hit (rather than just stock head and body hit animations). I want to be able to focus on a certain part of my opponent to cause a weakness I can exploit (just as in real boxing). For example I could work the right ribs and it would be great to see them redden and swell causing some restricted movement the more I work them. I would have the game viewed from the first person perspective as well with just the forearms and gloves visible.

The problem with fighting games using Kinect is that your sessions will tend to be pretty shortlived before you're knackered. If Kinect games stick in the sports and novelty mindset then it doesn't matter how accurate Kinect 2 is, the games won't engage people longer term.

More interesting would be a Kinect game that explored gameplay similarly to the move enabled Heavy Rain. That would be a lot more immersive and enjoyable for a longer gaming session. It would probably also work a little bit better on Kinect than Move

As much as motion gaming doesn't interest me, the one u-turn Microsoft shouldn't have made was when they announced Kinect was no longer mandatory, because now every console comes with one, but the devs don't know who's actually using it, so how much time and money are they going to invest in a Kinect title that could have limited sales potential and higher risk return on investment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom