Will Denon offer an HD audio upgrade to AVC-A1XV(A)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mattmarsden, Sep 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. mattmarsden

mattmarsden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    As my title says really!

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,285
    Nope. Don't really need it anyway.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,162
    Sadly, I think Jase is right... they won't update the A1XVA.

However, I'm not absolutely convinced that on-board HD Audio processing won't come in handy over the next few years. It's definately not needed now, but what if future BluRay / HD DVD players go 'transport only' like the one Denon have already announced.
    I also wouldn't bet against Sky broadcasting HD films in DD+ at some point in future.

I really hope I'm wrong though. Replacing the A1XVA is not an option for me for at least 5 years!

4. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your going you UPGRADE your A1XVA(Which you really don't need to, because these new players will decode the audio formats.Apparentely, it's been said thats it's much better to be decoded by the player), the replacement is the Denon pre-pro.The Avc-a1hd is a slight downgrade, but all the other amps are literally a downgrade.

5. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    it was only better in the player when the industry was considering keeping it in the player for copy protection reasons.......if the amp has higher quality processors and dacs then you are better off doing it in the amp most likely....

however the industry realised they couldnt restrict to the source because of reasons mentioned above like Sky eventually moving to HD audio on their platform, people wont want to pay multiple times for processing equipment in boxes when it can all be done in the amp.....also companies like Sky can keep their overheads down by simply extracting a bitstream from a signal and send it straight out......

but yes, the current high end Denons will happily take a PCM signal and crunch that from current players, so assuming later players dont remove the PCM option then the Denons are already high resolution capable but not HD capable (HD is being seen now as a codec specific term so to say HD capable would kind of be distorting the truth.....the amps are high resolution capable)

6. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think they will keep the pcm option!(asked the guys at the avs forums, they agreed ) But then again who knows.

7. Noobman

Noobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :hiya:

Could someone please point me to why the A1HD is a "slight" downgrade to a A1XVA? I mean the video processor is far better, all these new features like WiFi new GUI etc...(dont know if the DAC:s are better). Are the build quality so good in the A1XVA that this makes up for the better specs in A1HD:confused:

Dont get me wrong now, I for once have a "gut feeling" that the A1XVA still rules, But cant put my finger on WHY?(maybe its cause i got A1XVA myself:D)

//Mats

8. Sionic

Sionic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hejsan fellow Scandinavian! :)
    I've been having similar thoughts about the A1HD compared to the A1XVA. The weight properly means a better quality build (or hidden bricks...) but as with anything concerning technology, weight doesn't always mean better. Manufacturers get better at cramming more stuff into their units making them smaller and lighter all the time so who knows...

9. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,285
    Power supply wise the A1XVA should be the clear winner as it has three transformers for the poweramp section (one large toroid and two transformers nicked from the 2805/7). It also has a whopping 132,000mf of capacitance. The A1HD is the clear winner for video processing but we don't know what else it's using for the pre-amp section (DSP's, DAC's) so we can't compare it to the A1XVA as yet (which has a superb pre-amp section).

10. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10 powered channels,the transformers as jase had pointed out, you can bi-amp 5 channels i don't know if it can do 3 subs as the a1xva can. The video processor side the a1hd is better and also handling the new audio formats, but my question is with all these new formats running at 1080p raw, what would the video processing be used for? If it's for upscaling sd then why not just use the dvd player or the hd-dvd/blu-ray player? The A1xva is a unique amp.The a1hd is going to be a very good amp but the replacement for the a1xva is the avp-a1hd.

11. Noobman

Noobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Thanks for your replies guys i knew i could count on you;)

A1XVA is a clear winner when it comes to power supply and with the 10 channel free assignable amps as you pointed out. When it comes to the video processor the A1HD wins that round....Yes i for once thinks that you need a good video processor in an amp, Only got 2 HDMI inputs on my TV so ill use the amp as an video switch for all sources except for the DVD player. The Faroudja chip is doing a fine job for me so thats not a big issue, The only thing im a little "worried" about is the preamp section in A1HD:eek:.

//Mats

12. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still don't understand why is good to have a video processor in an amp? Don't use mine, but I thought that players like the toshiba xe-1 has good scaling chips, the 3930, the dvd-a1xva etc.Especially with these new video formats hd-dvd and blu-ray all being 1080p - no upscaling required.

13. Noobman

Noobman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

When it comes to DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray players i agree with you that you dont need a good scaling chip in your amp, But i also connect my none upscaling cable box to the amp and thats the main reason for me to let the amp do the scaling(maybe the Display can do that better:confused:)

//Mats

14. The WB

The WB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well in that situation Noobman your best to use the amp.

15. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Well the Reon is a bit special as a video processor, and it isn't limited to deinterlacing/scaling.

I am sure that it's noise reduction, edge enhancement etc. etc. will be of great use if they can be applied to HD DVD/Blu ray images.

When comparing this A1HD to the A1XVA, I have also picked up on the fact that the former will have Audyssey Pro on board.

I agree though that in most other regards, the A1XVA has superior credentials, particulalry when it comes to the amplification side.

BTW with the lukewarm reception that the 4308 is receiving, does anyone think Denon is poised to have an 'off day' this year?

16. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,285
    Personally, they should have included the Reon in the 4308 and maybe the 3808. Having the Realta in the A1HD and new Processor is a very good move.