Will Denon ever deliver 3802 ? Alternative ??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ARoss, Feb 20, 2002.

Tags:
  1. ARoss

ARoss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Next week never comes.....

seems true if like myself you have been waiting on a gold Denon 3802. For the last three weeks they have been promised and have never came. I can only guess that customers and dealers alike are a bit peeved.

Along with the excellent reputation for the 3802 one particular feature I really fancied is the option to use two channels for multi-room.

Any recommendations for 'obtainable' alternatives.

2. fishyben

fishyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could'nt be arsed to wait for a 3802 so i walking into my local Sevenoaks (southampton) and got the 2802, so its 10w less ( like i'd notice the difference ) and its 6.1 not 7.1 ( i can live with that ) its cheaper and there are plenty of gold ones around.
    I upgraded from a Sony strdb940, best wedge of money i'v spent in a long time.

3. ARoss

ARoss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2802 looks lovely and meets my needs, althought processing not quite as well rated. The multi-room feature is there in part but I would need separate power amp as I cannot designate 2 power channels.

I have no hang ups on going downwards, but I have another 1/2 zones to drive. Prefer not to have to closet hide the racks of kit but, but, but,.... I can't wait much longer for the Denon tease mirage ......

4. mikenruth

mikenruth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you are going to use 6/7.1 surround modes, try the Onkyo TXD S696. It's 5.1, Dolby Digital, dts, PLII, multiroom etc. but has a really useful (if you need it) composite to S video converter built in. This means you can connect composite and s video inputs into the amp, and then use a single s video lead to the TV, thus only using 1 scart. Stereo sound and straight 5.1 sound (in my humble opinion) is better than the 3802.

5. ARoss

ARoss
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Never thought of Onkyo,.... multi-room room looks attractive.
    Will download manual and check out.
    Any offers out there, or is it list price at dealers ?

Denon D- for dump day looks like Weds

Cheers

6. smarty

smarty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I also went for an Onkyo 696 in preference to a Denon 3802. More musical in my opinion in 2 channel (Direct mode is fantastic). Also extremely well built.
    Plus, everyones got a 3802 - just look at this forum! In my opinion (and I'm sure lots of people will disagree) I think most (well a lot at least) people have gone for the 3802 on reputation and recommendation from others, not back to back listening. I'm sure if you do a back to back listening test between the 3802 and 696 you'll know what I mean.
    Go for the Onkyo - can't recommend it enough.
    (Oh, it has a superb learning remote as well that will control 8 different things)