1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Datel's Freeloader for GC support PAL progessive?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Markie Boy, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    With the imminent launch of Datel's FREELOADER for GameCube, was wondering if this allows US/Jap GC games to be played "progressively" on a PAL machine?

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Hehe

Imminent release? What in 2005? It has been on imminent release since September last year!

I don't think it will as I believe the PAL GC's are not progressive enabled, we only get RGB output. Others know more about this than me, better off selling the PAL cube and getting a US one.

3. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a feeling it will!

The regular AV port has been modified by Nintendo, in order produce RGB. This makes me believe they have a very similar design for all 'Cubes. They just took a US model and modified the hardware to output RGB.

The digital out port (from which you would get progressive scan) has not been modified, and if you buy the USA/JAP component cable, you get interlaced component from a PAL console.

I'm thinking the innards of USA, JAP and PAL machines are pretty similar, so now all we need is some progressive enabled software. And the elusive FreeLoader, of course.

Guess we'll have to wait and see! But be prepared to wait for a LONG time =)

Best Regards,
    Olaiho

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think Progressive output from a PAL Gamecube is unlikely for three reasons:

1. Nintendo significantly cut the cost of the UK Gamecube and in doing so, may have removed the Progressive facility in the PAL Cube. They already re-worked the chipset to output Analogue RGB which was a fairly extensive modification, not a simple task. Therefore it is likely they modified other areas as well.

2. There would be no facility to activate Progressive Scan on a PAL Cube. On import Cubes, Progressive mode is activated by holding down "B" upon startup, however this toggles the 60Hz mode on PAL Cubes.

3. Freeloader does not exist and never will :D.

5. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    True, Groundy, but in both cases this is software dependent. For all we know, holding down B whilst playing an NTSC prog scan game on a PAL cube (via the "elusive" Freeloader) might TRY to activate prog scan (since it's not one standard screen that the Cube displays - ie software created, rather than hardware). Who knows for sure? Based on your above first point however, and my own personal gut feelings, I remain sceptical about prog scan and F/l.

6. olaiho

olaiho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for weighing in on this, Groundy.

FreeLoader... Guess we can always dream =)

Regards,
    Olaiho

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're right t-force - it still remains a possibility but I just feel Nintendo had to cut costs somewhere to bring the Cube in at the price it did.

I still don't understand why anyone would want to own a PAL console of any kind though. Assuming your display will accept NTSC, then the benefits of import gaming are untouchable. Games can be bought sooner and cheaper. Your options are increased. But perhaps most importantly, you will never have to worry about dodgy PAL conversions and slowdown.

Those holding out for Freeloader should just sell up and buy US.

8. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +228
    Now that Freeloader is available, can anybody confirm if playing an NTSC progressive game on a PAL GC with Freeloader enables progressive scan?