will component cable carry HDMI if ends changed?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by shalimar, Feb 6, 2014.

Tags:
  1. shalimar

shalimar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everybody,
    aplogizes if on wrong forum
    I am changing my PVR [died] which was connected to BenQ projector on ceiling via component cable .
    I am going to buy a Humax which has HDMI output to connect to BenQ which has HDMI imput..
    If I change both ends to HMDI connections [is this possible] will the cable carry the signal?

I ask this, as it is high end price thick cable going under the floorboards etc; and cost a £100. I would like to reuse without taking floor up.
    I would appreciate advice if the cable will carry the signal if both ends are changed to HDHI connections.
    If this possible do I just solder the HMDI end connections and which should I use?
    Regards Shalimar

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,570
    No that isn't possible.
    You'll need to replace the complete lead I'm afraid.

3. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
    Definitely not.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,299
    No (as others say).
    But, fyi - you do not need to spend £££££ on a fancy expensive HDMI cable. A few tens of pounds will get you a perfectly good 10m cable. As this is a digital environment, (and quite unlike the analogue component setup) there are no subtle enhancements possible from more costly wiring; if it works at all, then it works as well as it ever will.

Spend more and you will be buying a brand or some other fancy snake oil which will provide nothing but psychological benefit.

This, for example, LC-HD-1005 - High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet - Lektropacks - The UK's Home For AV Accessories will be fit for purpose.

5. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
    Not quite - above 6-7 metres signal loss is a risk.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    One reason why your component cable can't be used with HDMI plugs is that there are not enough cables.

Your component cable is 3 cables with 2 cores in each, ie a total of 6 possible connections. However HDMI has 19 connections in the plugs - HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    So even if you could manage to squeeze the larger component cables into the small HDMI plugs you would need 3 runs of component (plus another single core) to fully wire it all up.

If replacing the component cable is not easily possible then you could always convert the HDMI output on the PVR to component, but this is not a cheap option and probably not going to give the best quality so replacing the cable would be the better option IMO - HDMI V1.3 HDTV to Component YPbPr Converter 1080P: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    Do not even consider the cheap cable only options on Amazon etc as they simply can't work - HDMI is digital only and component is analogue and therefore requires hardware to do the conversion.

Mark.

7. shalimar

shalimar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. shalimar

shalimar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on Cables.
    We couldn't resist [dispite being told not to and there would be a loss of signal.]
    we bought 20 metres of HMDI cable.
    set Humax up to HMDI and internet for trial run; we used the 13 year old panny TV screen to run setup-it connected to projector and internet and then blanked out; thought it proberly old TV so fetched a flatscreen down and connected perfectly. all worked easily.
    Interestingly when connection established had no problem going back to play thru old TV.
    what you all already know. QUESTIOn at end please.

On normal freeveiw TV signal using BenQ projector screen slight haze/ghosting on sitting figures and on 4's horse racing; slight distortion on horse movement and background.
    On HD freeview Tv- picture good, clear on movement .
    If on normal TV,the signal had been same quality would have kept 20m. sigh
    Swapped the Maplins 20m for a ten metre, ran test; on normal TV picture better than 20m but on HD TV looked the same sharp picture. you said all digital cable the same ?
    [I will have to let him drill thru my beautiful cornice.]
    Even taking a shorter route thru cellar and ceiling might be a metre short [depends where joists are]

IS it possible to connect a one metre cable by male and female connectors. ?? and
    IS it possible to boost a HDMI signal for that extra metre??
    Any help and advice would be appreciated. ?
    Thank you for previous advice as saved a lot of time.

Regards Shalimar

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  11. iaint

iaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hi.
    HDMI is a complex beast. You may find that because of the order devices were connected or powered on, the devices didn't negotiate the same settings.
    Most display devices will have some sort of information display which will show what signal format is being received.
    The Humax by default will be set to Auto output; it will interrogate the display device and choose a suitable output format. There's a v-format button on the remote to cycle through them. If you disconnect the HDMI cable with the devices on, it may well switch. Hazing sounds like an artefact caused by up/down scaling, rather than HDMI signal breakdown.
    If the HDMI cable really is not carrying the signal properly, I'd expect momentary blackouts, sound chirps, and the old favourite HDCP error messages.
    --
    Regards, Iain.

12. shalimar

shalimar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI All,
    I have endeavoured to get my head around all info kindly given regarding cables and also reseached info on internet, and learnt alot.[Thanks all.]
    HDMI carries HDCP [supplier protection!} but carries all the signal for what I wish to receive simplistically. But a signal loss over 10 metres or less?
    Does this apply to the cat 5/6 network cable with a pair of HDMI baluns? which appears to be able to supply HDMI "quality" over 30 metres ?
    This if I have understood correctly is 2 ethernet cables passively connected to HMDI connectors for connection to my PVR and projector? . Why is this less signal loss.?
    My question is
    10 metres of HDMI cable
    or slightly more and Neet booster
    or cat 5/6 network cable with balun connectors over 30 metres??
    Cosmetically I would prefer the long 30 metres as can go down and up same route as exsisting component. ie cellar and up to 1st floor to come into projector from above (no cutting through cornice).
    But would prefer better signal , as discribed in previous post.
    Clarification appreciated.
    Regards Shalimar

13. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,184
    With cat6 cabling it's possible to send 1080i HDMI up to around 100M. You can get Cat5/6 cabling ready made in almost any length very cheaply from e-bay. The baluns are simply a matching transformer to transfer the data on the balanced twin conductor pairs in the network cabling. Network cable is designed to transfer digital data. Up to 1Gbps, more than fast enough for 1080p50.

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    The CAT5/6 Balun is a good option for longer runs, but last time I looked at them they were more expensive than the HDMI extenders - you only need the one extender but need 2 balun's. However the balun uses far cheaper cables so for longer runs could work out the cheaper option and there should be little or no difference in quality between the different types of connections. Also CAT5 cabling is far easier to run and hide behind skirting boards etc, but CAT6 is more tricky as it is less able to be bent than CAT5e.

So I would say you should go for the method that offers you the best options for your required cable run.

Mark.

15. shalimar

shalimar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,
    I really appreciate all your help and info; My learning curve was steep; didn't think I'd live till the Si fi books I'd read in the 50's came true!
    Going with Cat 6 as it saves my cornice.
    Humax being returned for a PVR that burns what I want to save; F... the HDCP.
    Now as I have to upgrade my Win XP, going for a laptop that will allow me to connect to "watch again" and to, via "Broadcast Stream" watch something, when I get my head around that.

Lost to many brain cells, make the other b...... work harder.
    Fond Regards Shalimar

16. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,856
    Good luck.