Will Buying A Camcorder from Japan Work In the UK?

andy_elvis

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just looking around and a Panasonic TM300 from here will set me back 750ish (from what google shopping will find me)

However, my stepdad is going to japan, and it runs (from amazon) at 530ish

but i'm just wondering if it'll work......

is there anything major that will set me back?
(Will japanese models have an english language setting?)

I know theres a 24p/25p difference, but will it be noticeable or anything? whats the differences between both shooting modes?

I don't know if editing bumps

so...bump

Any info would be greatly appriciated

As long as you live in HD land (HD TV etc) you shouldn't have any problems.

As you say there are differences with regards to the frame rates, this will only cause problems if you should ever wish to incorporate/edit the footage with a UK intended model/footage, you can't mix 25fps and 30fps easily.

I believe the cam should have some sort of english/US menu built in but check before buying if you can.

The manual may be in Japanese but you should be able to download a compatible one fro a US site.

No no, i don't plan to mix framerates in footage

I just plan to get the best of cinematic looks, whether or not 24p/25p would make the slightest bit of difference in achieving that i dont know

(off topic - whats the deal with 25p being deliver in a 50i stream? i dont get that at all)

I'll check with my step-dad to see if it's worth it.

I do live in the UK is that changes anything..... sorry if that was a big vague

But there's the whole 'PAL / NTSC' stuff that could cause problems

If your stepdad is going to Tokyo tell him to buy whatever you want in one of the electronic shops in Akihabara (easy to reach on the underground). They will have versions suitable for the UK - usually "worldwide" PAL versions.

I bought, at an excellent price, a PAL DV camera from there several years ago which had the DV-in enabled - at that time this was not common on the UK versions. If I remember correctly you could also avoid paying the local Japan taxes because it was for export. UK import duty is a different issue!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom