1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Buena Vista replace my DVD?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by LDJ, May 13, 2004.

1. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Basically, my Scary Movie DVD bought when the film was first released has since stopped playing. Its only upon receipt of the third movie did I come to watch this again and notice the disk was no longer working.
    Other than having a few views by myself, the disk has been kept in its case on a shelf in suitable storage condition, yet the disk is no longer functional. If i put it in my DVD player the player just halts indefinitely with the message "reading". I thought about ripping it and re-burning it but when i put it in my PC it causes the machine to hang. Basically the disk is knackered!
    The underside of the disk is immaculate (as are all my DVD's) and there is absolutely no damage to the disk whatsoever.

What i'm therefore wondering is that given the disk is too old to be replaced by the retailer, is it reasonable to expect the distributor (BVHE) or whoever to supplies the disks to replace the movie? Having only been watched a few times in its lifetime, its completely unreasonable to expect a movie to cease working at this stage and even though the movie can be bought quite cheaply nowadays, as a matter of principle I dont see why i should pay for another copy when this one here simply wasn't fit for the purpose it was originally sold.
    Do I have a valid claim for a replacement do you think?

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you changed your dvd player since you first bought it? I think you might have difficult getting a replacement now..... irreleavnt of the fact that you are right

ad

3. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    as a matter of fact, i have changed my dvd player. why do you ask?
    the player I have since bought is a better player and more compatible with different media (my Sony was very fussy!), so i'm not sure why this should matter?

the disk wont play in my Xbox, PC or standalone player(s) :(

4. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I bought Scary movie when it 1st came out (sorry). I had no problems, but my brother's Samsung would not play it. Some discs just don't play in some players.

5. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    as I say though, this one wont play on anything...

6. pete18

pete18

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i would either e-mail them or phone them, on the back of my Osbournes series one dvd theres a phone number
    saying consumer enquires 020-8222-1571

went on bennyvista.co.uk but is now film factory their e-mail is feedback@thefilmfactory.co.uk

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well if it wont play on anything, then you might be in with a chance..... cant hurt to get in touch

ad

8. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    My Copy of Monsters Inc used to play fine in my Denon A1. Now it won't load even though the surface is immaculate.
    Weird thing is, it still plays ok in my PC.
    So I've made a backup copy on the PC and stripped out the menu and extra features. This copy now plays fine on the A1. Weird.

9. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is it the R1 or R2 version. If its the R1 you're in luck as Disney do a replacement program. I've had to use it twice for Mulan and The Crow: City of Angels. And now i have to use it again for my Mighty Ducks (stop laughing at the back!).

Which ever region if you go through their site they might point you in the right direction for the R2 if thats what you have.

Disney Techincal Support

Good luck! :thumbsup: