Will Blu-Ray be the last major physical video format?

RMCF

I was just thinking about how CDs are now dying a death due to digital downloads, and how they are probably the last physical music format ever, and got to thinking about video.

What with people beginning to watch their TV via downloads and streaming services now, do we think that Blu-Ray will be the last video format too?

LanceR

Are CD's dying a death?

During the early days of the HMV crash I'm sure I read a quote that said CD's still make up 75% of all music sales.

I do however think Blu will be the last physical format although it will be around for quite a while yet.

The leaked specs for the new Xbox has a blu ray drive so Microsoft think so too.

The infrastructure just isn't there yet for non physical delivery of the likes of HD films so yes blu will be around for a while but think it will be the last.

mooperman

Distinguished Member
i think no.....

as said above the infrastructure just isnt there to deliver full size 1080P/DTS HD MSTR sized video files.... where i live i only get around 1.4mb at best (download speed) so unless that changes (and there are no plans as yet) then it will always be physical media for me.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Rest of the world still uses a lot of disks as well.

Also there isn't the capacity to deliver Blu-Ray over the net let alone Super HD.

RMCF

Well I personally do not know anyone who buys CDs any more. I buy the odd one myself but not as many as I used to.

If the CD isn't dying, then I'd guess that it is on the way out as digital music takes a grip.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Will it be the last physical format? No
Will it be the last major physical format? Maybe. Will consumers care enough to upgrade everything again, or will they just be happy with near-blu streaming which we will have by then? Quite possibly.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
Digital downloads are hardly comparable soundwise to physical formats such as vinyl and cd..Its like a cheap knock off in comparison..

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Do you mean streaming? CDs are digital of course.

The Dark Horse

Well I personally do not know anyone who buys CDs any more
Many people still buy CDs, the recent poll I put on here shows that. Also recent figures showed that even though CD album sales have dropped they are still more than double that of digital downloads. In time they will decrease no doubt but they are still a big seller. I also read recently that something like 30% of the UK population still doesn't have internet access.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
It will definitely be the last major physical format.

There may be people struggling with low speed connections in the UK, but then the UK is waaaay behind much of the developed world in terms of broadband infrastructure.

Surely people have also got wise to the idea of owning physical media that needs to be replaced with each new format change.

After all, a film made in the 60's on 35mm film would probably max out at about 4k in terms of usable resolution.

balidey

Distinguished Member
I often saw USB sticks being the next 'big thing' in physical media.
Small, (fairly) reliable, can be modified to look different.
Infact I know a few albums that have appeared on customised USB sticks.

Thug

Distinguished Member
Are CD's dying a death?

During the early days of the HMV crash I'm sure I read a quote that said CD's still make up 75% of all music sales.

I do however think Blu will be the last physical format although it will be around for quite a while yet.

The leaked specs for the new Xbox has a blu ray drive so Microsoft think so too.

The infrastructure just isn't there yet for non physical delivery of the likes of HD films so yes blu will be around for a while but think it will be the last.
Yes, but Microsoft also thought that HDDVD was going to be around for some time and the next big thing (for a while it was).

shoestring25

4k will be the next big thing in the future and blu ray wont be able to handle that but then neither will broadband unless you have a fibre connection or the stream is compressed

sheriffwoody

i still mainly only buy cd's - not sure why, as it is much simpler to purchase them as a download, but i much prefer having a physical copy of the cd, flicking through the little booklet etc and being able to take it and play it in elsewhere (my car doesn't have a phone jack so can't play iphone through cd player)

shoestring25

i much prefer CDs as well as simialr price and i can then rip it to what ever quality i decide

blu ray will be around for 5-6 more years at least

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
I often saw USB sticks being the next 'big thing' in physical media.
Small, (fairly) reliable, can be modified to look different.
Infact I know a few albums that have appeared on customised USB sticks.
A bit of tin foil between some plastic is a lot cheaper to manufacture than a USB stick.

USB has advantages if you want to record to it but you don't do that with a Blu-Ray.

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Digital downloads are hardly comparable soundwise to physical formats such as vinyl and cd..Its like a cheap knock off in comparison..
There are 'downloads' and there are Downloads. The market is small but there is an increasing amount of music available at quality that is better than CD and depending how much attention was lavished on the vinyl, better than that too. Unlike the issues delivering 4k video, most broadband lines can handle downloading this stuff as is as well.

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
There are 'downloads' and there are Downloads. The market is small but there is an increasing amount of music available at quality that is better than CD and depending how much attention was lavished on the vinyl, better than that too. Unlike the issues delivering 4k video, most broadband lines can handle downloading this stuff as is as well.
For the general market the likes of apple selling pop music,the quality is dire...
I use wavs in my dj sets,although i'm going to dip my toes into using both vinyl and wavs....Later on this yr...

There's quite a big resurgence with vinyl at the moment especially in the house music scene with labels and artists trying push a renaissance,and give a quality feel to new releases...Although a physical format doesn't guarantee a decent track....

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
It's not really 'dire' - it's compressed for the mobile-user it's aimed at - sounds great on my phone (never thought I'd say that) over Ultimate Ears ear buds :)

Sure, you wouldn't base a high-quality performace off it. As Ed says, better quality is available in a limited selection.

gibbsy

I think there will be more development of the 'disc'. People like owning a physical copy of a film or music, I know I certainly do. 4K presentation in an affordable guise is possibly on the cards well before the end of this decade. Once customers see the quality of 4K will broadband have caught up enough to reliably transmit all the information that 4K will require.

I'm supposed to have a 20meg connection but the maximum I've tested is 12meg and even with on demand connections I get quite a lot of buffering. So to me broadband is the weak link. So I think we will get a progression and development of the physical disc.

liamt

Distinguished Member
It will definitely be the last major physical format.

There may be people struggling with low speed connections in the UK, but then the UK is waaaay behind much of the developed world in terms of broadband infrastructure.

Surely people have also got wise to the idea of owning physical media that needs to be replaced with each new format change.

After all, a film made in the 60's on 35mm film would probably max out at about 4k in terms of usable resolution.
ultraviolet?

in theory you get the license for the movie and can download it for each format.

i just dont think we will have the infrastructure to stream 4k 11.1 content for some time and as TVs get bigger people will want better quality and higher resolution content.

out of curiosity. can BR cope with 4k? i assume it can. if not then BR definitely isnt the end

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
It's not really 'dire' - it's compressed for the mobile-user it's aimed at - sounds great on my phone (never thought I'd say that) over Ultimate Ears ear buds :)

Sure, you wouldn't base a high-quality performace off it. As Ed says, better quality is available in a limited selection.
The trouble is kids think its normal to listen to compressed music...

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
It is! How many people sit down to listen to music as a dedicated activity these days? I keep meaning to start a poll.

bumpymark

That's one per 154 CDs

I wonder how many cassettes were sold :devil:
talking of cassetes how many posters remember sonys ill fated elcasete from the 70,s? for the record i still have a boots cassete case full of "tapes" recorded from the late 70,s til the early 90,s and occaisionly dig them out for a listen! re blu-ray i think it still has a few yrs life left in it yet! personelly i would rather have a physical copy rather than a digital download but thats my choice. :D