1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Big TVs kill the Projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Spacecat, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    No this thread isnt about killer transvestites who hate projectors!

I was very interested in the 'Will Home theatre kill the cinema thread' so i thought I would start this one .

I am a happy projector owner since 1997 and up until now can see no way at getting such a cinematic screen in ones own home for such a small outlay.
    We tend to be a hypercritical bunch here but projectors like the A900,Z4 etc etc producing such superb pictures for such little money is really quite amazing.

However massive developments are also taking place in the Plasma,LCD and DLPTv markets

Screen sizes are increasing and prices are dropping.

Plasma and LCDs are now being produced in 60+ sizes and I believe there are 71 inch and 105 inch models coming out
    all at quite monstrous prices at the moment.

However if the prices continue to fall as screens get bigger
    Will YOU move over to a BIG TV and move away from the PJ?

If so what Size Price ratio would it take for you to do so?

The fact that TVs do not need a darkroom to watch might be a factor as well.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The size of the packing box for a 42" or a 52" plasma is big enough now, imagine what a 70" or a 100" will be!

Amazon P&P is gonna be a nightmare! :D

3. Marty Williams

Marty Williams
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cost of the raw materials for a physical 100" screen will ensure that it will never be able to compete with our dinky little light-casters.

Unless they can come up with an inflatable plasma screen.......

4. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think it will be quite a while before you can buy a 100" plasma/lcd for reasonable money, currently they cost about £15,000 , when they come down to the £3000 mark I would definately be interested as living with a projector does have quite a few drawbacks.

5. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have never seen a plasma or LCD flat panel that gave a particularly good picture more to the point. If they are ropey at 42", what will they be like at 60+"? Fine for the kitchen wall, not for more intensive viewing.

Projector is also much more discrete

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I don't think that the will kill off projectors at all, there is something about a projected image that just feels so right for watching films.
    However I would disagree with the comment above Rob regarding quality, I have owned a couple of DLP projectors and a couple of CRT projectors including a BenQ 8700 and an NEC XG75 8" and only the later beats the Panny Plasma for image quality.
    In fact it was only the fact I could not get a CRT in the new house and the fact DLP was not there yet performance wise that I went over to plasma.
    I think that 3 chip DLP will improve and comes down in price at around the same time 100" plasmas and LCDs do, and the PJ will still sell well as not everyone wants bigger than a 50" TV for everyday viewing.
    So in answer to your question, no there will always be room for projection systems.

7. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    In the front entrance of Dixons in Reading they've got a 60" LG plasma running HD demos, and it looks absolutely superb. Then again, it costs £8000 so it damn well should. 'Spect it would look somewhat less good with standard def stuff, though.

Having said that, I'd still want to keep my 103" screen and Z3 for movies. :)

Regards

Mark

8. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    They are fine for static images and animation, apart from that they leave me utterly cold compared to something like a H79. I think the DLP rear projectors I have seen - particularly the sim2 units - give a more 3d and fluid image.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    I would agree that out of the hundreds of flat panels out there I could only live with about 3 of them, they still have a long way to go.

10. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I have a 37" panny plasma and that is just about as big as I could handle having a tv in my living room, you still got to live with the size of the screen when you are not watching it.
    I also find the projected image much easier on the eye than the plasma.
    There is something about the Z3 that just feels far more cinematic than my plasma.
    For me personally even if plasmas were 105" and the same price as a projector and screen, I would stick with a projector.

11. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    Personally i think if flat screen was a the same size as a projector screen at the same pricepoint i would probabaly go with the best picture quality for the price which ever it was out of the 2.

i would keep my set up as it is now with a normal TV under the main screen for day to day viewing and just use the bigscreen TV or projector for movies and sports

12. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    For me the benefit of the projector is that I can roll the screen up after use, a huge plasma would be completley useless for my room.

13. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I own a R/P Tv and its great for every day viewing but when watching a film my £500 quid 5120 would be hard to beat for the cash, The whole cinematic experience that you witness with a pj ( cheap or expensive) for that matter cannot be beaten especially by a 100inch 20 stone pannel of glass on your wall, A pj is about the size of the bible and to those who are not savvy with projectors can find them selves looking for where the image is comming from ( My Mum ).
    Yes you have to sit in the dark but the bottom line is we are all movie fanatics and what we all really want is a UCI-Odeon-cineworld in our houses so we want a material screen and we want to see the dust floating in the light of the projector and we love telling our misses to shhhhh even though we have got more sound system power than we are ever gonna use in our lifetime, we are in short movie nuts and a tv is a tv and we want Projectors.

All say I

Cheers Darko

14. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    When OLED and newer tech comes in at 100in with contrast ratio's of +10,000:1 for around £3,000 then PJ's will be dead.

At least I wouldn't have to sit in a bat cave to enjoy a movie/tv/game console.

At some point I would imagine that they'll be a type or wallpaper that acts like a huge tv screen. You could have your whole wall covered. Imagine how bad SD broadcasts will look on that :)

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    im happy with my PJ........i can watch 86in screen at 10-12ft and be comfortable with it........when i watch a 50in plasma at that range it seems a little more fatiguing on the eyes......

also the PJ screen rolls up when i want it too...heh.....imagine how big that size plasma/LCD display would be....surely it couldnt be perfectly flat behind, i doubt you could wall mount it safely in the average home.......it would take up a lot of floor real estate....lol

16. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I dont think that they will kill them off.

I have a 42" LCD and a Panny ae700 projector.... and the projector wins hands down for various reasons:

- its descrete
    - the screen just disapears into the ceiling
    - the picture quality is better
    - anything bigger than a 42" screen would (in my opinion) is too big both both mounting and space in the average home/hc room

17. rob_talisman

rob_talisman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I think/hope that over the next 5/10 years we wont need projectors, as the LCD technology will improve so much i would like to see an LCD Screen.

So we will still be able to press our remote button and then a 100"+ screen will un roll, (as our projection screens do) from the ceiling and there will be a superb quality LCD screen. And cheap as chips.

All theory. But hey how close do you think that is!!

18. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have both and they are both good at different things. Plasma - when you just want to watch a bit of TV or not have to "live in a bat cave" (as said by cyberheater). PJ is great for the big screen home cinema experience. They both have their merits. I think there will always be a place for the PJ as how many "other halfs" would be willing to live with a 100 inch tv?

19. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    To cut a long story short... can somebody please tell me how they intend to get 103" plasma into their lounge ??

20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Through the door?! :)

21. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    lol

must admit, you would need to make sure you can actually get it in to your lounge before buying....if you have to go round any corners in your house to get to the lounge you might be a bit stuffed...lol

22. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good thread Spacecat.

I've been using a panny 100 via pc with sweetspot for nigh on two and a half years. Sometimes the picture very good and other times a bit flat. I'm getting to the point of either a new projector or an LCD flat screen(no pun intended)

For me I've always gone for PJ's due to their ability to throw a big variable size with improving PQ over the last several years. However the down side of PJ's IMHO is, even after a substantial initial outlay, is their cost of running with lamp costs being a pain.
    The other major downside is the fact that as soon as you fire the PJ up it's sucking in grime and muck (the filters aren't 100% effective) and the PQ deteriorates over a period of time that is the case for LCD and DLP. But dispite all that the PJ held sway due to it's ability to produce a large image; a I have to say though that novelty has worn of somewhat due to the fact I increasingly prefer to watch directly on my TFT screen, purely due to the superior PQ in terms of vibrancy and colour rendition.

The recent broadcasting of Bleak House looked beautiful on my small LCD screen , it gave a much greater insight into what the production team were trying to achieve. Problem is though it's only a 15inch screen but if that was 40,50,60 it would look fantastic and of course that's now becoming a reality. If you add in to the equation the fantastic life span of the LCD screen, the fact it shouldn't deteriorate with dust and grime ingress, there's no further expediture on lamps. and their much lower power consumption. Well for me the choice of LCD is becoming increasingly overwhelming.

As a post script I attended the What Hi-Fi sound and vision show today and all my above thoughts were strengthened. Sky were demonstrating their HD tv via several sonl LCD screens and a rear projector and guess what looked best. I heard and elderly chap remarking to one of the Sky personal why did that one screen look so poor? That's a rear projector he replied.

So for me Big TV's have killed my desire for projectors - except one? That bloody Sim C3X Lite-what a PJ, absolutely stunning. It was on demo in the Sim room and the What Hi Fi HD demo room. In the Sim room it seemed better? but it was so bloody good you could hear people gasp :eek: :eek: , there was actually spontaneous applause at the end of the session, fan bloody tastic. It's the only PJ that would tempt me -if I had 11 grand- due to the fact the optics are sealed against dust and grime ingress. However the lamps are 2000 hrs at a 450 quid replacement cost but what an experience every time you'd use it.

I think LCD technology will gather a pace with bigger screens and better PQ
    if however the future is based on sealed 3 chip DLP's at an affordable price then PJ's will survive.

23. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    Do you think your walls at home can take the weight of a 100" plasma screen ? An 84" one weighs 130kg :eek:

24. LTJ

LTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LCD screens are the way and eventually you'll be able to roll them up and put them away.

25. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i think big tvs wont kill projector anytime soon. Well atleast LCD tvs compared to LCD projectors. PQ wise projector is just as good or better and picture is lot bigger. If you compare something like AE100 then that might be another story.

Well if you watch mainly tv then its better to buy tv than projector ofcourse :) Also projector maintenance,dark room requirement etc. It ofcourse would be good if bigger plasma/lcd would get cheaper because its easier to just turn on for 5 mins or so and that way one would only need 1 display device. Well one can always dream..

26. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

..... :eek: with an approximate increase in area of 50%, a 103" panel would weigh around the 200Kg mark based upon current materials etc..At least you'd be safe in the knowledge that no bugger would or could steal it! :rotfl:

27. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    *gets image of two swag bag carrying red and white striped jumper thieves straight from a beano comic trying to walk out of a house with a 200kg 100in plasma on their backs....*

28. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Never, simply as when people drop over and see your set up its either -

'hey cool TV, but I would not spend that much'

or

'holy ****, youve got your own cinema, I mean, what, eh? how does that work, um I did not expect the picture to be so good..I gotta get me one of those! what 2k including the screen...eh...WOW...what you can play xbox on it too? OH MY GOD'

Catch my drift?

Pete.

29. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    i think the prob with projectors comparedto TVs is that they require some knowledge and some tweaking ability to set up right, therefore they generally need a person (usually a bloke) who is a bit 'IN' to the whole thing to set up and run etc.

They are also best used in a dark room.

If v large TVs reach a stage where they can match a projector in size and roughly in price then i think they will take over, esp if you could have then behind a picture or something
    a la James Bond.

I think the whole percieved Faff factor of PJs is what will put the average punter off and still does.

When you think about it how many people actually own a PJ NOW? when on a Bang for Buck basis they blow away any large TV?

30. Mr Grumpy

Mr Grumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Spot on !

To me a tv is just a tv but with a PJ you really can achieve that true Home Cinema effect, certainly more of a sense of occasion as far as I am concerned. For the ultimate pose though, an electric screen descending from it's ceiling hideaway is a must have (if only mine 'hid' rather than merely returning to it's quite substantial and rather unstealth housing).