1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will be joining you soon

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MR2Harvey, Nov 28, 2003.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just bought a Hitachi 42PMA400E from Richer Sounds :clap:

Just upgraded to SKY+:clap:

Just bought a NAD 752T AMP:clap:

Just bought the EVO 3A speaker package:clap:

Just need to get my room finished .... can't wait:D

Harvey

2. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi MR2Harvey, welcome to planet plasma.:D Post back your thoughts on it once your up and running.

ASH1:smashin:

3. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well i have not calibrated my 400E yet but initally I'm blown away with it. Mind you just been watching Lord of the rings on Sky+ and thought I should fiddle with the settings. Changed the contrast (which was already down) to normal from dynamic and hey waht a real natrual picture...so much more detail.

Ok the blacks might not be the be all and end all, in fact they are slightly less now I've changed the settings but really the picture is awesome. I can see so much more detail now, having the contrast set too high can fool you in to thinking it's a better picture and initally it looks that way but don't be swayed by contrast alone. This plasma when set-up correctly (i've have not even started yet) is really really good. Absolutely no flicker, beautiful colours (when setup right)...very pleased.

I have seen a Panasonic showing better black levels but I think the screen I saw was too contrasty, lacking in absolute mid tone detail. I don't want to get into which is better than the other, what I want to say is take time to set it up, don't get overly concerned with maximum contrast (you soon get used to it) and enjoy.

There has been a lot of overly negative comments about the ALiS technology on this forum, really it ain't that bad cause I'm really happy with it and I'm not eaisly pleased.

I'll be getting the Avia disc soon to set the plasma up better but so far I'm really pleased which i guess is a bit of a relief after spending more than a modest some of money.

I bought this plasma cause I wanted to upgrade to HDTV when it become available and a 852 x 480 at least to me was not going to hack it later on ( more than enough for standard tv though, except PAL is 576 lines!!!)

Will feed back honest comments later once I have had a chance to digest.

Harvey

4. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Harvey, glad to hear your news. Someone has posted the Avia settings on this forum for the 400e, although not every 400e panel maybe exactly the same they worked well on mine. Here are the Avia settings that where posted.

Contrast 35
    Brightness +3
    Colour +2
    Tint -10
    Sharpness +3

All other settings where left as default, so try theses settings and switch back to dynamic and see what you think.

5. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Very interesting settings

I have put mine on Life extension 1 for contrast, this sets it up as 93, 35 is very low isn't it!!! I'd of thought that using one of these "safety" features would have set it low enough.

Do you have yours on Dynamic in order to get some contrast back?

I'll be getting my disc soon and will set it up according to that I guess.

My settings are for now

Contrast 93
    Brightness 0
    Colour -6
    Tint 0
    Sharpness 0

Contrast on Normal

Other settings default (most set to low)

Anyone else have settings to compare?

Cheers

Harvey

6. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Harvey, yes mine is on Dynamic. I just copied the settings that were posted by someone else. Have you tried these yet I think it looks good with nice skin tones. Also if you use a DVD with THX optimization you will see the video setting are more or less the same. I don't know if THX use Avia software or not.

7. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Trying those settings for a while see how I get until I get my own AVIA disc (coming soon). What do you mean by THX optimisation @the video settings are more or less the same@?

Harvey

8. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Harvey, on some DVD's like Star Wars 2 they have a THX optimisation menu, where you can set up the video and sound settings for best performance. More or less in the same way as Avia does, but not in so much detail.

ASH1

9. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Persevere with the low contrast m8, thats shockingly high no wonder your blacks arent too good.

The thx optimiser is like a test card for the different settings. I use both avia(ntsc) and the thx(pal) one .

10. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi manc, that's interesting I thought you could only use one or the other.

Thanks ASH1 :smashin:

11. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

Just watched 'Vanilla Sky' stange film but I digress....

I'm using the low contrast settings as recommended by ASH1 and must say I am thrilled by the results, very natrual indeed especially the skin tones. It really does show that setting the plasma up correctly makes all the diiference.

Where can you get a THX optimiser from?

Harvey

12. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As mentioned earlier, on a menu within certain DVDs.

I don't know about the release of other regions, but you can add Region 2 Terminator 2 'Ultimate edition' to the list of films that includes the THX optimamizer :D

13. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Harvey, glad you like the settings, though we have who ever it was that first posted them to thank really. I find watching TV through a free view box also very good, almost 3D like sometimes. As I posted earlier you can find the THX optimiser on DVD's like Star Wars 2, just have a look through your DVD collection.

ASH1