1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will banana plugs improve my sound?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by prevailrob, Nov 23, 2003.

1. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As above.

Will attaching banana plugs to my speaker cable make any improvement to the sound or will it just serve as tidying up the setup? At the moment I have the cable screwed into the amps terminals and speakers bog standardly :)

I was just wondering if it was going to be worth splashing out 5.5 euros per pair of bananas. I was thinking of replacing the cable for the rears (Im still using the stuff that came with them. I replaced the fronts and center with 12 gauge copper and I think it made a huge difference). So If im going to splash out on 10 meters or so of cable at 3 euros a meter im debating if its worth spending the extra 30 on fancy plugs.

What do you think?

Cheers,
    Rob

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you'll find bannana pluga are regarded as conveniance thing rather than an upgrade TBH...

3. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only real point in plugs is that they often allow you to use thicker cable that might be too big for the normal screw terminals. Also makes checking the connection easier as the screws often get loose over time.

I used to use them with my Cable Talk 3 Bi-Wire but my current amp doesn't have sockets and was a real pain to get the bi-wire into the screws.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The only potential upgrade is in terms of a reliable connection whose quality will not deteriorate with time.

If you look at the bare wires after a few months and note how the surface has deteriorated,you get some idea of what can happen.
    All of my cables have either spades or banana plugs,and aside from convenience and the above,thats about it.

5. prevailrob

prevailrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies guys.

Im probably going to hold off on the bananas for a little bit but will definetly be upgrading the cable on my rear speakers. I have them on stands tho so I need to find a guage that will fit thru the little holes at the top. My center & fronts have 12 guage and I know its definetly too thick to go thru.

Rob

6. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    if u gonna haev bananas, get the solder type and solder the cables on as this will give an air tight seal

also try the QED Airloc plugs