Question Will audyssey fix my quiet vocals issue?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by theonematt, Jan 1, 2017.

1. theonematt

theonematt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit of background on my issue. Audio was never an issue with me with my old TV and it had a really good night mode and reasonable speakers built in. Bought a new TV and as anyone knows they aren't built with audio in mind. So I took some old speakers from an old HTIB and bought a receiver.

My problem is this, despite checking my settings a number of times vocals just aren't loud enough. This is likely because I live in a flat so can't have it loud, Blu-ray films just aren't mixed to be played quietly. Night mode does nothing to fix this. Turning up the centre channel does nothing to fix this.

I've read about receivers with audyssey and dynamic volume which is meant to fix this issue as it's made for quieter listening. Does anyone have experience with this? Will this stop the action from being earth shattering and the vocals from being whispers?

My current receiver is: Denon AVR-X520BT.

TL;DR will audyssey stop action scenes being really loud and vocals being really quiet?

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    What are the speakers you are using, are you partnering them with a Sub and where are the speakers positioned?

Digital Room Correction software (Audyssey or otherwise) is unlikely to be the fix you are after.

Joe

3. theonematt

theonematt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, my speakers are from the Sony DAV S800 (plugged into my current receiver Denon AVR-X520BT) and it's partnered with an active sub. I am using centre and front speakers, fronts are sitting either side of the TV.

I must point out that I'm not an audiophile, honestly just so long as my sound has enough bass behind it I'm happy. But with Blu-ray I really struggle right now as the vocals are so damned quiet and the action is far too loud.

My old TV was great at narrowing the dynamic range this system just doesn't seem to be able to do so. I tried a soundbar a while back which also was good at narrowing the range but I wasnt happy with the quality of the sound. More than happy with the sound from my current speakers just not the levels on Blu-ray.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Your Front LCR Speakers are likely the issue.

Placement - if the Front LR are tight to the TV try disabling the Centre in the AVR settings and run the system as Front LR only (+ Sub).

Crossover - marrying the HTIB Fronts with your Sub is likely leaving a big hole in the midrange.

Speakers - I'd go listen to a decent pair of speakers you could use with the AVR, a home trial would be ideal.

Joe