• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Will Apple Exchange this?

Messiah

Prominent Member
I have just bought a white iPhone 3GS from the classifieds which was described as mint. However, when it arrived it was far from mint being filthy dirty (albeit with a disgustingly yellowed Zagg fitted) with broken charge lead etc .

I have removed the Zagg and cleaned the phone up and have noticed some small cracks around the headphone port. The phone is in warranty until march 2011.

Should I just pursue a refund with the seller for mis-advertising goods or will the Apple store exchange it due to these cracks? If they will do I need to ensure it is registered in my name first?

Thanks

hutch

Distinguished Member
I think first and foremost you should pursue it with the seller through the correct channels

RobM

Distinguished Member
Personally I would push for a refund, as who knows what else has been lied about. But if it's under warranty Apple will sort it out no problem. That should be the sellers problem though, IMO.

Messiah

Prominent Member
apple store!

got mine replaced in ten minutes for a brand new one which was promptly sold

For the same reason - cracks in case around headphone port?

Would seem the easiest way as I don't then have to package up, post, wait for refund and then find another.

venomizer

Established Member
Apple replaced my in-warranty 3G immediately when I went in and showed them cracks around the headphone jack/silent switch. Make sure the water indicators (in the bottom of the headphone jack and inside the dock connector port) are not activated (i.e. not pink) otherwise the warranty is voided.

Robiow

Established Member
For the same reason - cracks in case around headphone port?

Would seem the easiest way as I don't then have to package up, post, wait for refund and then find another.

it was cracks around the dock port, but headphone jack cracks are well documented.

Go to the apple store first, the worst than can say is no, then deal with the seller

Messiah

Prominent Member
Make sure the water indicators (in the bottom of the headphone jack and inside the dock connector port) are not activated (i.e. not pink) otherwise the warranty is voided.

How can you see for sure. Just looking down them is not really that definite.

Robiow

Established Member
the apple store use an ophthalmoscope, so either be friendly with your local optician, or get down your doctors surgery.

It's quite easy to see with a torch, try a magnifying glass as well

venomizer

Established Member
How can you see for sure. Just looking down them is not really that definite.

You can't really, but unless you see something, just take it to the store and they will take a look. The worst that can happen is that they say the warranty is invalidated and you'll just have to take it up with the seller.

Messiah

Prominent Member
Just checked with a mag lite and it is white as the driven snow. No probs there then. Genius Bar appt here I come.

johnboy586

Established Member
They may ask you for some evidence, that the phone was obtained in good faith.

As it the warranty won't be registered to yourself.

RobM

Distinguished Member
They may ask you for some evidence, that the phone was obtained in good faith.

As it the warranty won't be registered to yourself.

That's incorrect, the warranty is linked to the phones IMEI number and not the owner. They will check that this particular handset is under warranty on their own system without needing any additional info.

I wouldn't even mention how you bought it, keep it simple.

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
I'll take copies of the For Salke thread on here then.

Just a wild guess, but going to the Apple shop and saying, I am the Messiah! is likely to get you locked up. :D

Messiah

Prominent Member
Just a wild guess, but going to the Apple shop and saying, I am the Messiah! is likely to get you locked up. :D

D'you know I wish I could change my username but keep the ratings etc. I used the name years ago when I registered when I used to chip PS2's with Messiah chips. I was doing an install of one of said chips as I was signing up and it was the first thing that I could think of at the time.

Messiah

Prominent Member
It was purchased from AVF classifieds ?

Have you left appropriate bad feedback and notified the classifieds mods that the seller has been dishonest with their description ?

Yes, no and yes. I have notified the seller of my dissatisfaction and he has committed to refunding an amount to cover the cost of a new USB lead. If Apple refuse to exchange it then I shall be following up further but it is actually easier for me to attempt an exchange at my local Apple store than to package it up, send it off and wait for a refund.

I do agree however that to advertise something as mint when it was in the condition I received it in is just having a larf. And very very naughty :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom