Will an HDMI Splitter/Audio Extractor Solve my problem?

Kaylegh

Novice Member
Hello,

Just wondering if an HMDI splitter or Audio Extractor will fix my problem.

1. I have a Yamaha YSP-2500 soundbar, it does not support HDCP 2.2 (meaning netflix will not work in 4k when nvidia shield is directly connected to soundbar). The soundbar does support most of the surround sound codecs (DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-HD, True HD).

2. I also have an nvidia shield (android box) and a 4k TV that supports HDCP 2.2.

Problem: The TV can only passthrough basic dolby digital and DTS surround signals to the soundbar via HDMI ARC or Optical cable. Netflix only uses the advanced DD+. So if i use ARC or optical from TV to soundbar I end up with STEREO sound while watching Netflix in 4k. That's the problem. I am now trying to bypass the TV audio passthrough.

Possible Fix: In order to make the best out of both worlds (4k HDCP 2.2, and advanced surround sound processing), is there an HDMI splitter or Audio extractor that can take the HDMI input from the Nvidia Shield, and output 2 cables: one 4k video cable that goes straight to the TV HDCP 2.2 port, and another audio only cable that goes straight to the soundbar to benefit from its surround sound processing, avoiding the TV passthrough bottlneck. If yes, can you please recommend a product model?

Thank you

Kaylegh

Novice Member
Looking for a recommendation for an HDMI splitter/Audio Extractor with following features if possible:

-Input: preferrably 2 HDMI inputs
-Output: 1x HDMI & 1x Optical
-Audio Passthrough: Can pass Dolby Digital, Dolby Ditial PLUS, DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby True-HD
-Resolution: Supports up to [email protected] 4:4:4 and 4:4:2
-HDCP Compliant

And a kind confirmation whether or not an optical cable out of the splitter can carry DD+ signal or not? I keep reading that optical cables constitute a bottleneck that can only carry basic DD and DTS signals. In this case netflix 5.1 will not work.

Please and thank you.

Kaylegh

Novice Member
what i dont understand is how come all those audio extractors on the market have only SPDIF audio output and at the same time they are marketed as DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD compatible?? SPDIF cannot carry DTS-HD and TrueHD.

At the same time i cannot find any audio extractor with HDMI AUDIO output.

I feel like I am missing something.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The audio extractors you mention only support the HD Formats if you only use the HDMI Input and Output - if you wish to use the Optical Out you have to limit the Input device(s) to whatever the Optical Out supports. Some devices do support DD+ via Optical.

If you want to 'fool' your Source device(s) you could use an HD Fury Integral², Vertex or Vertex² to send the HD Audio with a 'dummy' HDCP 1.4 video signal to the Soundbar.

Joe

Kaylegh

Novice Member
vertex and integral are above $300, too costly for the issue that i am trying to workaround. There are $50-$100 audio extractors out there, just trying to find one that has an exclusive HDMI Audio output so i can benefit from HD Audio. Not interested in SPDIF output.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Like many HDMI devices on paper it ‘should’ work for you, plug it in and hopefully it works in your system.

HDFury offer a lot in terms of the Firmware and configuration options which allows you to optimise for all manner of connected devices - though as you say they come at a price.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom