Sluggster

Established Member
Reaction score
I was going to get the new version of the Apple TV 4K (2021) but it does not appear to be much of an upgrade from the older version. I‘m now considering a Mac Mini 2021 with the new non Intel chipset.

Before moving forward I would like to make sure it will do what I want it to first. It must be able to output 4K Dolby Vision to my Panasonic OLED TV via my Denon AV amp. It must be able to output surround sound via the same AV amp via HDMI (Both video and audio on the same cable. I would use the Apple TV app and want to play my 4K films via the app.

I currently use Tidal HiFi for music and would like to output that to the AV amp now but if Apple or Spotify provide HiFi level op I will probably change provider if there is a cost saving.

Ideally I would like to use Infuse 7 To replace Plex (via my Synology NAS), Google (via YouTube) and Apple films from the ATV app. Is that all possible on a Mac Mini?

Could I incorporate Roon on the Mini to manage Tidal/Spotify/iTunes and my own NAS based music collection.

I would replace the MacBook Pro I have with the Mini for day to day mail and surfing the net etc.

Does anyone know if what I would like to do is viable and maybe have some other ideas that I could use the Mini for - AV based?

Thanks,
Huw

Thanks,
Huw

According to here the M1 Mini does not support DV only regular HDR10.

You should get PCM 5.1 or 7.1 if you have direct HDMI connection to the Denon.

DD+ Atmos is not supported on the Mini via streaming services from what I can make out but I could be wrong. TrueHD Atmos just requires a media player capable of passing TrueHD audio assuming bitstreaming works on the M1.

InFuse 7 is now available for Mac's & Roon runs on OSX.

I don't own an M1 Mini but it meets some of your needs.

According to here the M1 Mini does not support DV only regular HDR10.

You should get PCM 5.1 or 7.1 if you have direct HDMI connection to the Denon.

DD+ Atmos is not supported on the Mini via streaming services from what I can make out but I could be wrong. TrueHD Atmos just requires a media player capable of passing TrueHD audio assuming bitstreaming works on the M1.

InFuse 7 is now available for Mac's & Roon runs on OSX.

I don't own an M1 Mini but it meets some of your needs.
Thank you for your response.

There always seems to be something missing on hardware, which is frustrating. DV in this case.

I might try plan B and buy a wireless keyboard for my MacBook Pro and use it with the lid shut. I guess Infuse 7 will not work with DV either. I do currently use my MacPro via HDMI to my Denon and that works fine but it is a pain to control - not sure if it uses DV on the ATV app though. I’ll have a look. I’ll also give Infuse 7 a go.

I’m going to try the Roon free for a few weeks on my MacPro to see how that goes.

Cheers, you have been very helpful.
Huw

There’s a new Mac Mini M1X on the horizon.

I used to run 2 x Mac Minis - 1 as my normal computer, and the 2nd as my HTPC.

When the 3rd Gen AppleTV appeared on the market, I sold my Mac Mini HTPC - as the AppleTV could remotely access my movie and music library from my remaining Mac MinI.

I currently run an AppleTV4K, that can remotely access content from my Mac Mini across the home network.

Quite a lot has changed over the last few weeks.

In the end, I’m using Roon as my music player and have moved from Tidal to Qobuz. The cost has remained the same as I was paying for Tidal and the recommendations are more suitable - at just under £20. Roon is a good service but there is quite a bit under the hood that I need to learn. I have also learned a fair amount about the RasPerry Pi and DACs, thanks to input from forum members. I’m using my MacBook Pro as the Core and my iPhone and iPad as controllers.

ATV turned up on the Shield two days ago and works well. So £190 saved there. About £20 in total when you take away the RPi and DAC.

The DAC sounds good, replacing those in my Denon and the RPi acts as a Roon end point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom