Question Will a Sky plus box function without the HDD?

iamafreeman

Standard Member
I have an old Sky plus box which I'm using (and have used for a year or two just for Freesat channels) and a while ago I took the HDD out as recording is not possible without a Sky subscription (I'm told) and therefore the HDD is
redundant. However, after I removed the HDD the box didn't work at all.

I've now seen a couple of Sky boxes for sale and the ads. say the HDD has been removed and it's only suitable for freesat channels. So my question is why wouldn't mine work and these apparently do? What have I not done that someone else has?

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No Sky + box will work without a HDD installed.
BTW this type of query should have been posted in our Sky Digital sub-forum.

iamafreeman

Standard Member
Hi, JayCee,

Thanks for the info. the boxes I've seen advertised claiming to work with the HDD removed are clearly different to mine but certainly mine didn't work when I removed the HDD.

Did look for a more suitable location for this question but clearly didn't see it.

logiciel

Correct.;)

With this sort of query you should quote make and model of Sky+ box - there are 8 different models of box - a couple of which will work without a HDD.

TJT1

I have an old Sky plus box {snip} and a while ago I took the HDD out {snip} However, after I removed the HDD the box didn't work at all.
{snip}
Any suggestions welcome.
Put the HDD back in.:rotfl::facepalm:
Why did you take it out?

iamafreeman

Standard Member
Put the HDD back in.:rotfl::facepalm:
Why did you take it out?
I did indeed replace the HDD about five minutes after I took it out (which was about two years ago now) when the box clearly didn't work without it - which wasn't entirely a surprise.

Why did I take it out? Curiosity and also as the HDD is redundant for my purposes I considered using it as a spare in a Desktop PC I had built.

I've used it just as a tuner for the last two or three years but then in an idle moment recently wondered if there was a fix for the box that would let it run without the HDD and thought I'd ask if anyone knew. Seems there isn't.

Although allegedly one or two brands do work without a HDD.

Given that mine doesn't which brands do work without the HDD connected?

Cheers.
Sorry it is over 10 years since I last played with SD Sky boxes and cannot remember now. I can only suggest looking backwards in posts on forums such as this or Digital Spy. But it was NOT down to brands but to particularr models and firmware versions.

iamafreeman

Standard Member
Sorry it is over 10 years since I last played with SD Sky boxes and cannot remember now. I can only suggest looking backwards in posts on forums such as this or Digital Spy. But it was NOT down to brands but to particularr models and firmware versions.
That's OK mate not a problem. Thanks anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom