1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a scaler help?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by PhilB1234, Sep 1, 2004.

1. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since obtaining a HD projector (1280x720) and running my Tag McLaren DVD32+PSM192 through it via DVI, I've noticed that the projector's internal scaling seems to have trouble working fast enough to keep up on rapid panning scenes.
    By comparing a native pixel image (720x576p@50Hz) to the scaled image (1280x720p@50Hz) I notice that the shapes and outlines are fairly well scaled, but there is colour banding in the colours and textures. Does this suggest that the projector's scaler isn't up to the job?

Would an offboard scaler help? My aim is to obtain as near picture quality as possible to that of the static image (which I'm extremely pleased with).

If a scaler would help, am I also likely to see improvements in slow-panning/static images, as the scaler is better?

I've looked around and have seen a few options (bearing in mind the Tag VSM2048 is out of my price range!):
    -iScan HD
    -Lumagen's new Vision HDP (are there any advantage's to going up to the ProHDP, other than case & cables?)
    -Crystallio (but twice the price of the iScan)

Are there any others I've missed?

Does anyone have any experience with any of these?

Any comments on set-up or settings that might help me get the most from the current set-up?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    What is the projector? It may be an artefact of how your DLP works and that no processing is going to help. Trying a processor within your system may be the best way to see what happens unless someone else has a scaler and your projector and can comment.

Gordon

3. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gordon,
    It's the iVision HD (using the original TI HD2, rather than HD2+, chip).
    My thinking was the banding might be caused by the internal scaler using too shallow bit-depth, and so an offboard unit might have the processing power to do it justice.
    Does this make sense?
    Phil

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Phil,

Pretty sure that single chip DLP is stuck at 8 bit anyway so the pressence of banding is possible. Where are you in country? eMAIL me and I'll see if I can find someone to visit you and demo a scaler.

Gordon

gordon@convergent-av.co.uk

5. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Phil,

I have a Tag McLaren DVD32FLR + PSM192 that I was running into a HD2 projector (a Runco CL-710) - I was in the same situation as you 6 months ago, and I now use a Crystalio. I also run Sky+, a HiDef XBox and a HTPC through it. Needless to say I no longer use my PSM192.

If you search back through this forum, you'll be able to find various threads on all the scalers in your shortlist, and even a comparison of the 3 you mention.

Cheers,

Colin

6. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi cj,

-I saw those threads but didn't think many conclusions were drawn, what did you think? Particularly re: the Lumagen ProHDP, it seemed to go quiet without too much comment about performance.

-Before adding the Crystalio, did you notice the problems I describe? (although I note you use a more costly, and very likely much better equipped electonically, projector). If so, were they solved with the processor in place? Are you happy with it? Were the improvements substantial? I'm keen to hear your thoughts before I start throwing money at the problem!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Gordon,
    -I'm based in SW London so couldn't be much further from your base! But I would be keen see the difference a decent scaler could make...... I notice from the convergent-av website that you'll be handling the Lumagen sclaers.... have you got your hands on one yet? Any idea when pricing etc will be available?

-I've got the basic spec list page from Lumagen, and as far as I can see there are no performance differences between the HDP and ProHDP. Other than the case and BNC connections, do you know of any performance advantages? None are hinted at/claimed on the spec page so I'd be grateful for any insight you can provide!

-I'll be using it for DVD (via DVI), Sky (via RGBS > SD inputs) but want to be able to use it with Sky's HD service (if) when it's available......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for your input guys!

7. cj

cj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Hi Phil,

since you asked my own thoughts are that I wouldn't even entertain one of the new Lumagens until they finally get some release firmware out there - I personally wouldn't be happy having to pay to Beta test a product, but plenty of people have faith in Lumagen (and rightly so based on their older products) and are prepared to do just that. Both the iScan and Crystalio have been released products for quite a few months now.

I didn't actually see any of the problems you describe with my pj, so I'm not much help there.

Also I wouldn't expect to be using any of the current crop of scalers come 2006 when we eventually get HD broadcasts - 2 years is a very long time in hardware.

Most people's advice is "try before you buy".

Cheers,

Colin

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Phil,

I am actually in your neck of the woods right now.....with a scaler in the boot.

As Colin says they are in beta form just now. What that means is that the hardware is finished and the firmware is being tweaked for picture quality and the promised functionality added. As they are right now they offer superior functionality to older Lumagens with a robust firmware that seems, for most folk, to be very stable.

Whether they solve your problem is unknown but they should be able to cope with all your current and proposed sources.

My car is in for a service tomorrow while I am down here but feel free to email me with a contact number and I'll see what I can do if you wish.

Gordon