Will a receiver still get hot when using as a pre-amp/processor with power amp?

Halo_master

I have bought a new cabinet for my hifi. It isn' t very tall, so i don' t have a lot of space above my ht-equipment, it is very wide, so that is not the problem.The receiver (pio sc-lx71) will just fit in there, will have 0,5 cm to spare on top. These receivers won' t get very hot, because they are class D (ice-power), The feet are 2cm tall on the bottom, i want to replace these with 1,2cm feet, so i' ll have 1,3cm of space above the receiver, which is still very narrow. I always wanted to take the plunge by getting a processor and a power amp, but don' t have the cash for a good proc at this moment(and ia m waiting for a hdmi 1.4 capable processor/pre-amp). If i would use the pioneer sc-lx71 as a processor by using the pre-outs and if i would get a power amp which has a low profile (for example, the rotel 1575, class D), would the receiver still become hot, even when not using its internal amps?

Jaseamondo

I've been using a Denon receiver like this ,with a 1cm gap for a few years now ( Still haven't done the processor thing yet ). It gets warm but not hot as it would with the amps running, It's probably not recommended to do this but it should be fine imo.

fyonn

I think it depends on the amp and how it's designed. When I had an Onkyo 905 and used it with a power amp, it still got very hot.

dave

paulst10

Distinguished Member
would the receiver still become hot, even when not using its internal amps?

My Onkyo used to get hotter when using the pre-outs :(

The explanation why is to do with its power consumption... when using the internal amps the correct amount of power is being supplied, but when using the preouts and bypassing the amp stage the same amount of power is still supplied and as it's not used it dissipates into heat :thumbsdow

It may different from receiver to receiver but that was my experience with the Onkyo.

Currently my system runs so cool it's amazing. Never before had I been able to watch a movie during a hot day without having the door open, but now I can :clap: Yesterday I had my UMC-1 & 1575 playing music and a movie for over 4 hrs and they weren't even running warm, more like room temperature still :cool:

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
I could be wrong, but the Onkyos may have a slightly higher Class A bias than most which results in a significant current draw, even when standing still. Thus they get warm doing nothing and will to a point, get cooler when that power is dissipated as sound through the speakers, rather than simply as heat when nothing is playing.

Anything that runs warm when standing still needs ventilation and once all the video and audio DSP gets lit up, thats not going to make things cooler either.

Russell

R

recruit

I could be wrong, but the Onkyos may have a slightly higher Class A bias than most which results in a significant current draw, even when standing still. Thus they get warm doing nothing and will to a point, get cooler when that power is dissipated as sound through the speakers, rather than simply as heat when nothing is playing.

Anything that runs warm when standing still needs ventilation and once all the video and audio DSP gets lit up, thats not going to make things cooler either.

Russell

I think that is pretty much bang on it Russell, the energy is not dissipating anywhere thus the amp gets hotter unless properly ventilated.

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Indeed and given the OP's original post, I would suggest the 0.5-1.3cm isn't enough to sufficiently ventilate any amp, even the ICE power Pioneer he's using, simply because there is more than the power amps generating heat.

Russell

Bossk128

I've recently started using my AVR350 as a preamp only, and it doesn't get as hot as when using it as a receiver.

In fact, the warmth I do feel is I think coming from my power amp, as it is sitting directly on top with about 2cm of ventilation (for the Arcam, the power amp has loads):rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom