Question Will a RCA Y-adapter work with a digital coaxial plug?

amenu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Will a RCA Y-adapter work with a digital coaxial plug? I have just bought a Sony blu ray player that has one digital coaxial female plug. I need to connect that to two amplifiers. Can I just use a normal RCA Y-adapter with one male and two female plugs to split the signal and connect to the amps with two digital coaxial cables, or do I need a special coaxial adapter? If I need a special adapter, please suggest a brand that I can order from Amazon.ca (I live in Canada). Thanks for any advice!
-- Arthur

Will a RCA Y-adapter work with a digital coaxial plug? I have just bought a Sony blu ray player that has one digital coaxial female plug. I need to connect that to two amplifiers. Can I just use a normal RCA Y-adapter with one male and two female plugs to split the signal and connect to the amps with two digital coaxial cables, or do I need a special coaxial adapter? If I need a special adapter, please suggest a brand that I can order from Amazon.ca (I live in Canada). Thanks for any advice!
-- Arthur
It should work fine. Try it, you can't do any harm. But does neither of your amplifiers have a HDMI input?

One of my amps is a tube amp that only takes RCA L&R input. The blu ray player does not have RCA L&R output plugs but does have a digital coaxial output plug. I have a digital audio to RCA converter into which I will plug one of the digital coaxial cables from the blu ray player and connect to the amp that way.

It may not work but shouldn't cause any damage.

As above with the Source set to Output 2.0 via Coaxial you may get away with a passive RCA to 2RCA 'splitter' - feeding the Coaxial to 2RCA converter plus the second Amp.

Equally you may have to install a powered 1x2 RCA splitter to the Coaxial Output of the Source to ensure the output voltage of each leg of the Splitter is high enough.

Joe

It's not so much the voltage as reflections if the cables are long.

Thank you Joe and Trollslayer. It looks as if getting a powered 1x2 RCA splitter would be a prudent way to go. Can either of you recommend a manufacturer and model, preferably one that is reasonably priced that I could order from amazon.ca?

Here is a reply to my question from another forum. I would be interested if members of this forum would agree.

"#1 you can attempt to use a normal rca cable. Normal rca cables lack the shielding and the tolerance levels to carry higher frequencies needed for the digital signal. And because there is no error correction your audio can sound bad.

"#2 you cannot split the SPDIF connection, there is a handshake that occurs which requires a 2 way connection between both pieces of equipment. The protocol is not designed to handle a third party."

#1 - every RCA to RCA cable I've come across utilise Shielded cable stock.

#2 - there is a 'sync/clock' but no handshake which will stop you splitting the signal.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom