1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a Radeon 9600 fit my AGP 2x/4x MBO

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JonathanKnight, Jan 27, 2004.

1. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As in the title, my motherboard supports AGP 2x/4x so will a 9600 work on it or would I be better getting a 9200. I have read a few threads and things about various AGP versions but just got confused.

Thanks.

2. richgtfc

richgtfc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Radeon 9600 is 8x AGP only which uses lower voltage than 2x/4x. Some cards can take all 3 types, but if you get it wrong it'll fry your card:eek:

Cheers
    Rich

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What motherboard have you got?

I've had a 9600 running in a mobo which only supports up to 4x so per se that's not an indication of a problem .. and for HCPC usage the AGP bus speed isn't of any great significance as far as performance is concerned.

IIRC, the incompatibilty started when AGP speeds reached 2x so I'd expect a board that can run at 4x would be no problem .. but you're wise to check.

4. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what the MBO is, its in a Dell Dimension 4100 (about 3 years old). I will not really need it for games, its mostly for the TV out so I can plug it into my TV to watch recordings from my Nebula DigiTV card and stuff like that. As my TV supports 1080i and things I want to try that out too and see how good a picture I can get. If the 9200 will fit the bill then I don't really have a problem with that as it's cheaper, although I suspect the 9600 is better.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As far as I know there's no difference between the S-video outputs on the 9200 and 9600 .. you'd need to use VGA output at least, probably DVI and a big screen (plasma/projector) before the differences would show and even then it's mainly their MPEG decoders that differ, not video processing AIUI.

Also, if your PC is only 3 years old I think it's highly unlikely it's an old version 1 AGP slot in it ... but if it's a Dell why not ring and ask them, they're usually helpful, if you can quote a tag number they can look up on their records.

6. JonathanKnight

JonathanKnight
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick search of Dell's tech support site answered the question. There were a few posts along identical lines. It would seem that the 9600 will work.

Thanks for all the replies.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, 9600's are keyed for AGP 4x and 8x operation.

MuFu.