Will a PS3 play a Bluray 3D Movie?

eddywatson

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello

I was just wondering if a PS3 will play a 3D bluray?

Or do you need a specific 3D bluray player?

Thank you

I think 3D compatibilty came with a PS3 firmware update a while back, so just make sure you're running the latest firmware.

ya make sure you connect to ps3 network to get any updates.

watched caroline in 3d on ps3-- amazing

It does...the only drawback being that if the 3D Bluray has uncompressed audio on it (DolbyTruHD, DTS HD Master Audio etc) it won't play it. The PS3 will play it in plain DD or DTS.

Not a deal breaker though:thumbsup:

Stop talking about 3D please cos im seriously considering a new TV which i cant afford. Im meant to be saving to move out but the new Samsung TV's are really really nice.

ya make sure you connect to ps3 network to get any updates.

watched caroline in 3d on ps3-- amazing

Wait till you see Avatar or How to Train your Dragon!

Movies are definitely catching upto the standard of games, I just hope the next Fifa is in 3D :)

It does...the only drawback being that if the 3D Bluray has uncompressed audio on it (DolbyTruHD, DTS HD Master Audio etc) it won't play it. The PS3 will play it in plain DD or DTS.

Why is that :confused:

mattrixdesign2 said:
Well thats no good, so is it a PS3 hardware problem?

Yep, for HD sound you need a dedicated 3D player and a reciever capable of hdmi 1.4.....I think. Renently got a Samsung UE46D8000 and need to upgrade my reciever and get a dedicated player. Does the slim support 1.4 at all?

3D works fine with hdmi 1.3b and above . Just use spdif from ps3 to hi-fi system

Anyone used 3d blu ray on a 80gb ps3? any issues?

Works fine, not sure why you'd specify certain models? All PS3's will play 3D bluray fine. Also this whole 1.3 v 1.4 is made too big an issue. I'm using nearly 3 year old hdmi cables and never had a problem with 3D.....they most certainly are not 1.4 either.

There were reported issues with older models playign back 3d blu ray - not ll, but some. maybe they've fixed that via software update, something to do with blu-ray J?

There were reported issues with older models playign back 3d blu ray - not ll, but some. maybe they've fixed that via software update, something to do with blu-ray J?

Rest assured, 80Gb's have no issues....none that I have come across anyway :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom