1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a progressive scan player improve picture quality further on the new Panasonic.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by brad123, Feb 5, 2002.

1. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Just seen a Phillips DVD Q50 for £249 that has progressive scan at hifi bitz. Will this improve the quality of the picture further to the point it will be noticable on my projectors picture quality.

Also is this DVD player as good a picture quality as my Toshiba SD100E I bought 15 months ago as the tosh is renowned for great picture and sound quality.

And finally what is the best way to connect my DVD player to the projector, at the moment im using an s video cable but isnt RGB the best and if so how can i do this on my toshiba sd100e DVD player, is it scart to whatever. Please advise, is RGB better then s video and can i do this on my panasonic.

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    progressive should be better (only for NTSC though). Bear in mind that the pj will be deinterlacing internally, but the progressive scan player should do it better.

best connection is component, as this is how the DVD is stored on the disc. So a player with component outputs straight into the pj will be best.

RGB SCART is almost identical, and ideal for UK TVs. but the panasonic doesn't have an input, so ignore it.

S-Video is still very nice quality, but a tiny step down from component/RGB.

Bottom line is, for a good price, use progressive scan DVD for your NTSC discs via component, and interlaced component for PAL.

Or get a PC for DVD playback via VGA for the best :)

3. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    what do you mean component, Is this the yellow phono lead socket on the back of the pj (video) i think its laballed. The s video socket is going straight to my s video connection on my dvd player, which lead on the pj is the component socket and which socket on my dvd player (tosh sd100e) does it wanna come from. Sorry for the questions im a newbie to all this. Thanks for the help by the way.

(i have a scart to triple phone lead and an s video to s video lead at my disposel)

Thanks

4. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I didn't think the U.K Q50 had progressive scan, just the NTSC model?

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    hi brad the component connectors are at the back of the panny they are the three imputs in a line ie the red , the blue and the green input. Check if your player has the same conectors

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I must have very small feet. because I see a huge leap down.

Progressive scan is only available on Component video out not RGB/S-video or composite unless I'm mistaken.

The component out will be on three RCA Phono plugs

7. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    yea ive just looked at the back of the panny and i see the 3 sockets, so all i need now is a dvd player that does progressive scan and has a component out socket ie the same as the ones on the back of the panny, the red,green and blue ones. Then all i do is attach em both and hey presto better image. yes

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    you've got it.

Make sure you use a decent quality video cable not one with a couple of audio connectors. There are very few true 75ohm RCA connectors about.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    ok, so I'm in denial, as my DVD player (DV-505) only has S-video out, and my TV only has one RGB input (used for TiVo) :p

10. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    will i notice the difference in picture quality then if using component and progressive scan, and whats this about only region 1 dvd films having progressive scan technology wont r2 dvd films look better as well.

11. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    R2 PAL will look better as component is a 'purer' signal.

But PAL doesn't have progressive scan yet, only NTSC players do this. So you'll only get the full benefit from R1 discs.

12. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    so at the end of the day is it worth upgrading to a DVD player that does this (component) from my current player the toshiba sd100e as the tosh is known for its great picture and sound quality.

I just wanna get the best out of my pj.

13. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    r1 will get the biggest boost because most 'NTSC' DVDs store material sourced from film as 24 non-interlaced frames per second, with the player handling the 3:2 pulldown needed to convert them to 60Hz interlaced. Here, no deinterlacing is needed at all and you get to see the movie at the original 24fps.

With r2 'PAL' there should be some improvement as a result of the deinterlacing taking place digitally inside the player, rather than having it done after its been converted to analogue and sent over an svideo link to the projector, but it won't be as dramatic as the improvement offered by r1 progressive and you'll still get the 'PAL speedup' (if thats a problem for you, it doesn't bother most people).

Gav

14. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    ..except that the DVD player won't deinterlace PAL because you don't get progressive PAL DVD players. PAL will be output interlaced.

So, if you already have a 'normal' DVD player with component outputs, then upgrade to a progressive one, you'll only see an improvement on NTSC movie discs.

15. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Well, whilst it is technically true that PS players will only output 480P when they leave the factory (in accordance with the current license agreements), it is not necessarily true that they can't be "altered" to output 576P.

If you want more details, use a bit of common sense (hint: how many people on this board that own DV27's complain about its lack of 576P).

See this and this thread for more details.

Cheers,
    Liam

16. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    so i will notice a difference on r2 dvd films but more on r1 dvd films, right thats clear.

So now i need a DVD player with component out and progressive scan and is multiregion (automaticly not by hand, cant be arsed changing it between films)

Has to a great picture as im upgrading from a tosh sd100e remember which is known for its great picture quality.

And under £300 if possible. There is a phillips on the hifi bitz website at £249, any good.

17. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    just got this reply back from debenhams about the lecson dvd1000 which has progressive scan & component outputs.

Dear Sir or Madam

Thank you for your recent enquiry. After speaking to our buying department
    on your behalf, I can confirm that the Lecson DVD -1000 will be exclusively
    stocked by Debenhams. Hopefully, it will be available to customers in our
    stores for the begining of March and will retail at £199

so we just need to if it can be made multi region via the handset like the previous model

18. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You can get the Pioneer 737 Multi Region, with NTSC prog scan for about £390 these days, but as yet, I'm still searching for a way to PAL prog, if at all possible. But as most of my discs are R1, I'm not too worried.:)

But......... the panny won't accept a PAL prog signal anyway as I'm led to believe, so it's really a non starter. Or can it? 576p I believe?

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Brad

Dont forget the Pt-Ae100 will not do pal progressive from a progressive dvd player.

HCC are reporting the Lecson dvd1000 out soon at Debenhams for £200, and it does progressive scan. thats all the info I have.
    So I dont know if it will do 576P.

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The single yellow phono socket is not component, it is the poor quality (one step up from RF) composite video.

Component is either 3 or 5 (depends on if the equipment has separate video sync lines). Most dvd players with component have the 3 type. This is three phono sockets, one red, one blue and one green. Most standard tvs don't have component connecters in the UK.

21. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would appear from amateur tests that using the component input on the AE100 is not going to produce anything like the picture the machine can produce, progressive or not.

It looks as though if I go down this route I will get a Progressive Scan DVD player and buy a component to RGB transcoder which can be input to the VGA socket to give the ultimate picture. Alternatively I will go with the HTPC, but I don't want to use the soundcard as much as my DVD player 'cos I don't think it's as good.

Regards

22. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Stewart

That Transcoder is $299 :eek:
    Let us know if you get one.

23. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why go component-RGB-VGA?

Most decent DVD players output RGB, the next best route to component, if not as good as.

One would assume from the posts on the other forum from Li on that US DVD players don't output RGB, only component & composite & S-Video.

Isn't scart a European standard, or is it common in the US?

I would assume that a quality, scart equiped, RGB outputting DVD player, in conjunction with a RGB-VGA converter is the best way to go if accepting Li on's assertions regarding this projector.

Looks like the ultimate solution is HTPC!!!!!!!!!!!

Any opinions?

I don't feel like posting on the other forum-some of the members there are quite rude.
    Understandable, I agree, as they seem (well some) to know EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, but it looks as though with a transcoder the picture is mindblowing.

Regards

25. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I think one important thing to bear in mind (especially as most people here haven't seen this pj in action) is that Li On is a self confessed perfectionist and constant tweaker.

He said himself that most people would love the straight progressive component image, and by implication an RGB-VGA output.

Its just that he has incredibly high standards. He was comparing it to *much* more expensive projectors.

The trouble is, now we know that it is capable of great images, it'll eat away at you and force you to buy a HTPC. Even if you're perfectly happy with the 'normal' image.

26. brad123

brad123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Whats a HTPC, now im confused!!!!!!!!

How much are they and where can I get one from and how would I attach it to the DVD player and pj. I have a tosh sd100e at the moment but am thinking of getting one of tese new lecsons when they come out for £199 with progressive scan.

Thanks for your help by the way folks.

27. Bluecgi

Bluecgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    brad, HTPC means a Home Theatre PC, means they are connecting the AE-100 with a PC (computer) , and using it to play the DVDs, the pictures are suppose to be better

28. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    We are in danger of losing perspective here. Li On as said is a pefectionist. But we have to remember that the pj is only £1500. We accept a level of performance for the price. Another £299 for a transcoder would be an acceptable upgrade for it if it is truely worth it. Otherwise you may as well aim higher and buy a far better pj in the first place that will give the performance you may be after.

I know that when I see the Panasonic in action, I know what to expect/accept for the price. But then I've always been a sucker.:rolleyes:

29. Stewart C

Stewart C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guyl, I agree Totally.

If Li On has these ultra high standards and this little £1500 projector is giving him an image which is blowing his mind when all you have to do is buy a $299 Transcoder. I think it will be worth every penny. Obviously, I don't want to buy it but his results seem amazing with it. Unfortunately it's not something that will be discussed in any upcoming reviews in magazines, so we need his input.

Taking into account VAT and Tax duty it will cost probably £300, for the picture he describes for £1800. That's good enough for me to justtify the extra £300.

Where else will you get a projector for £1800 that produces the image he describes.

By the way. I have a HCPC (HTPC) whatever you want to call it, although I don't have the projector yet. This maybe for another forum but what about sound card quality. My 11SR will decode admirably so it's down to the bitstream. Surely Audio Cards can't be that bad at producing a bitsream/Optical signal.

Cheers

30. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    As far as we know this PJ is not Pal progressive, but would there be a chance it would except a pal prog signal when using a Transcoder. Afterall wont the PJ think it is accepting an rgb signal from a HTPC.
    Or am I Pi**ing into the wind :confused: