Will a Panasonic TH42PX60PED work in Australia?

jik22

Standard Member
I need to buy a new Plasma now, but will be moving from the UK to Australia in about 6 months. Therefore, I'm trying to ensure what I buy here will work over there.

I'd set my sights on the Panasonic TH42PX60PED, but a couple of the shops I've phoned so far don't seem to either know or have a way to find out whther the screen will work outside of Europe.

I know Australia is PAL, and I know very similar models from Panasonic are available over there, but obviously neither guarantees a UK bought set will work in Oz, as they may well make a region-specific screen over there with the same model number even!

Can anyone help, or point me to a Panasonic contact who may be able to answer the question.

Thanks, Jeff

thewul

jik22 said:
I know Australia is PAL,

it may be pal but we use PAL-I over here which has a different sound carrier frequency to the PAL used in some countries in mainland europe.

if australia is not PAL-I the set will produce picture but no sound.

thats all presuming you are talking about receiving aerial broadcasts, the av inputs should work ok

jik22

Standard Member
thewul said:
it may be pal but we use PAL-I over here which has a different sound carrier frequency to the PAL used in some countries in mainland europe.

if australia is not PAL-I the set will produce picture but no sound.

thats all presuming you are talking about receiving aerial broadcasts, the av inputs should work ok

Thanks. Yes, it was precisely because of the variants of PAL and the audio differences I was asking. I would imagine most non-DVD viewing would be done from Digital Terrestrial over there, as I believe they now have HD transmissions.

So I also needed to know the integrated digital stuff woud be OK, and I know nothing about that! :)

thewul

not sure about the digital stuff but as for the analogue i know that our pal-i is not very common and would be supprised if it works down under.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
there are few AUS members who could help you. Power system is the same so should be no issue the tuner is the difference and digital may not work analogue might but all you need is a sat/cable box out there (be warned they dont se scarts its all S-video and component which the UK models have fewer inputs for (some scarts can accept S-video)

jik22

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
there are few AUS members who could help you. Power system is the same so should be no issue the tuner is the difference and digital may not work analogue might but all you need is a sat/cable box out there (be warned they dont se scarts its all S-video and component which the UK models have fewer inputs for (some scarts can accept S-video)

From what I can glean online, they are PAL-B/G, which happens to be the same as the Netherlands, so I guess I could buy there.

However, I've also been told the PAL spec alone doesn't mean the audio will be OK as I have to ensure the frequencies used are also compatible or available on the TV!

As for digital, that seems even more complex! We have Freeview (And I have no idea what standard that uses, or even if it is a standard, Holland has DVB-T, which I think is their equivalent and which the Panasonic TH-42 PX 60 E available there supports, and I have no idea what Oz uses for it's digital terrestrial, which is actually already HD!

If I could, I'd order the Aus spec version here, and just use my Freeview HDD recorder here for 6 months and not worry about the inbuilt tuner! Can't find a dealer that can do that though! :-(

Last edited:

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
as its only 6 moths why so despeate to buy and ship? why not buy a cheap one here then flog it when you move and buy one in AUS? Or forget TV plasmas and buy a panel use with freeview PVR here and HD STB out there Fujitsu 58 series or panny PHD8 are ideal

thewul

the dvb system we use is still based on pal transmission but again i`m not sure about the sound carrier.

sadly it sounds a very risky business:thumbsdow

John F

Banned
If you buy your plasma here it will not work in Aus, my brother tried to do that & was told by Panasonic both in the UK & Aus that is not just the audio but the picture as well. The power is not a problem. The only way around it is to buy a panel.

jik22

Standard Member
hornydragon said:
as its only 6 moths why so despeate to buy and ship? why not buy a cheap one here then flog it when you move and buy one in AUS? Or forget TV plasmas and buy a panel use with freeview PVR here and HD STB out there Fujitsu 58 series or panny PHD8 are ideal

Well, 6 months is probably the earliest we'd be ready to go, plus I didn't know when I originally posted whether it was simple or not.

May have to look at a panel, but didn't want a cheap one as I've not been impressed withthe picture quality of most I've seen.

RobDickinson

I brought my Sony 32" widescreen CRT to NZ from the UK, All I had to do was select Pal/I instead of pal/B (or whatever). At the worst possible outcome you need to use a cheap VHS machine as a tuner (or use Sky/stb).

But honestly the risk in shipping a plasma from UK to Aus is very high and insurance will be exessive on that item, for 6 months I'd wait and buy in aus.

but check the machine in Aus carefully, I think they ahve 2 models of the px60, one SH one HD, in NZ we only have the SD model (no HD px60) so I had to buy the more expensive px600 for HD.

hornydragon

Distinguished Member
there is the PD60 (SD) and PX60 (HD) and you can buy a screen here for £1k and use it for 6 months and sell for £800 or similar then buy new out in AUS. OR buy a secondhand one for £500 and resell before moving (far better idea IMO)

mike79

Right, having just moved to Aus, I have found the following....

Advice on this forum, and other sources on the net stated that with my (UK)Panasonic plasma, I would get picture but no sound if I tried to get normal tv.

To get round this, I would need to get some form of set top box. So, have done this and have the plasma up & running with a budget HD box (80 quid).

However, in the meantime, I was getting fidgety about not having the bedroom TV running yet (UK LG 27" LCD) and so fired a co-ax cable into it and the wall socket and hey presto, picture AND sound.

I would check the plasma but if the wife sees that it works without the HD box, its likely that she will want to return it (and I quite like freeview HD!)

Shipping a plasma is fine also - we used Allied Pickfords to bring all our belongings over, and the TV works a treat. Only damage to almost 100 boxes of belongings was 1 broken glass. We were delighted with their service, both in the UK and here is Australia.

My main advice though would be to wait until you get over here - home theater is VERY popular here, and big TVs are everywhere (our 42" looks like a weiner now after going round some shops!)

I'd hold out till you get here and see what is on the go here, either rear projection, plasma or a projector. All will be cheaper than in the UK IMHO

Hope this is of help

Mike

Andypbs3

Standard Member
Right, having just moved to Aus, I have found the following....

Advice on this forum, and other sources on the net stated that with my (UK)Panasonic plasma, I would get picture but no sound if I tried to get normal tv.

To get round this, I would need to get some form of set top box. So, have done this and have the plasma up & running with a budget HD box (80 quid).

However, in the meantime, I was getting fidgety about not having the bedroom TV running yet (UK LG 27" LCD) and so fired a co-ax cable into it and the wall socket and hey presto, picture AND sound.

I would check the plasma but if the wife sees that it works without the HD box, its likely that she will want to return it (and I quite like freeview HD!)

Shipping a plasma is fine also - we used Allied Pickfords to bring all our belongings over, and the TV works a treat. Only damage to almost 100 boxes of belongings was 1 broken glass. We were delighted with their service, both in the UK and here is Australia.

My main advice though would be to wait until you get over here - home theater is VERY popular here, and big TVs are everywhere (our 42" looks like a weiner now after going round some shops!)

I'd hold out till you get here and see what is on the go here, either rear projection, plasma or a projector. All will be cheaper than in the UK IMHO

Hope this is of help

Mike

I presume this will be the same for my Panasonic TH-42PX60B - I could ship it and get a cheap box.
My girlfriend in Brisbane has FoxTel supplied via cable so am I right in assuming compatibility through that also, or would I need something to act as a delivery vehicle.
Alos (if you don't mind the Qs) will a Panasonic DVD Surround Sound SA-MT1 work, or are the regions incompatible?

Thanks in anticipation

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom