• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

will a new US LCD TV work back in UK?

H

havegomac

Hi All,

I haven't been on here for a while but I'm on a short term secondment to the US and want to get a hi-def (1080p 40-42" LCD while i'm over here.

Will it work back in the UK hooked up to Sky/Cable/DVD player when i move back? I know the tuner won't work but not bothered about that, rather the NTSC/PAL issues with other equipment.

Also does anyone have recommendations in the LCD 40-42" 1080p area?

thanks

Matt

it'll work perfectly :) Check if you need a stepdown converter however! You don't want your tv making a loud bang the second power's flowing.

regional tv crap doesn't really apply now! only problem you may have is finding RGB inputs on em :p

andrewfee

It will not work perfectly. The majority of LCDs sold in America support 60Hz only (all our broadcast television in Europe is 50Hz) and are generally 120v only.

This applies to HD as well, as Sky HD is still 50Hz. European TVs will generally do 50Hz and 60Hz, so you get the option of using them anywhere. (though the tuners might not work, and most are still 220-240v only)

If you only plan on playing games and using it as a monitor you'd probably be ok though, as long as you bought a big enough step-down transformer.

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Additionally hardly any USA TVs support PAL on any inputs (not just the tuner but the composite video input side).

Chris Muriel, Manchester

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
You need to check out the specifications of the US Model to find out what it supports - before you can be sure. If you can't do this reliably, then I'd assume it will NOT work.

For example:
You need PAL 50hz 625 lines for standard definition sources.
You need 240V 50hz mains power.

You should note also that the lovely (!) SCART connector is peculiar to Europe. A US device will have Component Video (as well as SVideo and Composite), but will likely not support RGB for example.

N

Northness

A mix of useful and only partially correct advice above.

1. Tho many, not all TVs are 110v / 50 Hz only ... see for example http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=31 ... . there is a 42" LCD 1080p,which is 110-240, 50-60 Hz at about $1200 (say $1300 .. Pds 650 incl tax). Vizio is a brand sold widely in Costco in the US, one of the cheapest places o buy a TV, tho have never seen in Costco in UK.

2. Either way, a transformer will easily take care of any that are 110v only

3. You can get Scart/Phono (RCA in US) converter easily for a few pounds. Not sure about other AV conversions.

4. On tuner .. there are a number of digital system converters you can place between UK tuner box, and TV .. that will allow you to watch broadcast TV. Of course, you will probably end up paying about half the cost of the TV for this ...

Hope this helps

Steve1951

Hi Matt
I have nothing to add to the technical detail as it seems to have been covered.

I guess you want to do this for the price saving??

Otherwise why do you want to give yourself so much grief!!

You have to get the thing here in one piece,cross your fingers it will work,maybe have a transformer in circuit,mix and match the AV connections, and who knows how the warranty will stand up????????

Interesting topic but unless you had been given it for free........personally I wouldnt even think about it,I have enough problems already!!!!!!!!

Good Luck though.

Steve

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom