Will a new TV make my Humax Freeview Play box redundant?

DLox

Novice Member
Hi all,

Some help for a newbie considering a new TV please. We currently have a Humax Freeview Play box which is great for recording multiple programmes simultaneously in HD. We like this feature and want to keep it. However, it has its problems with a few of the streaming services/apps, and too frequently the signal stutters and needs rebooting.

I'm planning on purchasing a new TV (£600-£700), my hope being to use the new TV for all live and streaming services/apps, but retain the recording features as above either through the Humax box or some other means.

How best can I achieve this setup, or are there TVs in my budget that would make the Humax recorder unnecessary?

I have a single roof arial input lead.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The Humax will function as now with your new TV as it does with the old...
The new TV will do what it does with a similar inerface for FV Play, and the backward epg.

For some streaming applications longevity and speed is often via plug-in sticks rather than none-too-well-supported apps on TVs and PVRs in my view.

TVs seldom if ever act well as PVRs (via attached HDDs) and only the top-priced have multiple terrestrial and/or satellite tuners to be able to do the job (if the software writers had half a clue as to how to do PVR stuff).

If the Humax stutters and needs rebooting on Freeview (whether live or recorded being played back) that may point to a terrestrial tv aerial reception issue?

DLox

Novice Member
The Humax will function as now with your new TV as it does with the old...
The new TV will do what it does with a similar inerface for FV Play, and the backward epg.

For some streaming applications longevity and speed is often via plug-in sticks rather than none-too-well-supported apps on TVs and PVRs in my view.

TVs seldom if ever act well as PVRs (via attached HDDs) and only the top-priced have multiple terrestrial and/or satellite tuners to be able to do the job (if the software writers had half a clue as to how to do PVR stuff).

If the Humax stutters and needs rebooting on Freeview (whether live or recorded being played back) that may point to a terrestrial tv aerial reception issue?
Thanks @Rodders53 - that's helped confirm my thought around keeping the Humax for recording. That leaves me the question of how to set it up if I want the option of using the Humax but with a default setup of watching directly via the TV (as opposed to via the Humax)? Would an aerial splitter do the job, allowing me to switch source to go between Humax and TV?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Humax boxes generally have a standby setting that allows the TV signal to be daisy-chained. So the aerial goes into the Humax & then out to the TV. For this to work it means disabling the lowest power standby option. You can try it with the existing TV.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The Humax is an EXTernal or AV connection input on the TV.

:rtfm: for the Humax it has an RF passthrough feature and could be exactly how you are using it now with the existing TV.
What would be so different about a new TV that you expect it to work and connect differently?

Unless it's a very old TV?

BUT A splitter might or might not work. It depends on the signal strength from the aerial. Splitters lose 4dB of signal, a bit over half, to each output. That may mean some signals become below the digital threshold for reliable reception. (The Humax metering can be used to check that. Most like a figure in the 70-80% range best. Too high can be as bad as too low.)

Splitters with Humax devices are often better than using the RF passthrough feature as some Humax boxes have a firmware/software glitch that interrupts the pass through when going from standby to part-awake or full awake... which can be annoying when you lose signal while watching something!!

DLox

Novice Member
My plan was to be able to use the new TV by default, and only revert to the Humax for recording purposes. Reason being the Humax isn't great with the apps & streaming services. My current TV is +15 years old. I could of course replicate my current setup, but continuing to watch via the Humax feels like I'll be losing some of the benefits of a new TV and I'll have to continue watching the circle of death whilst waiting for the iPlayer to load.
Thanks for the advice around the splitter. It does work, but you're right about the signal strength - I've lost some channels. I've not been able to make the RF passthrough option work just yet, but I'll continue testing and report back.
Thanks for the help.

mikej

As mentioned above, you just need to connect your aerial to the PVR's coax input and connect the PVR's coax output to the new TV's coax socket, plus connect the PVR to TV with an HDMI cable.

Once you've checked your PVR's standby settings and/or disabled any ECO settings, you can then watch the TV with the PVR off.

It really shouldn't be any more complicated than that.

All PVRs should work this way - if you're struggling to find the right setting, then let us know the model number and we can check for you.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Humax call it 'power saving in standby' and it defaults to ON. :rtfm: it'll be in there! Humax

If the splitter is losing channels then your aerial install is borderline (in)adequate.
Go over all the cables, plugs, sockets and 'fettle' them.

Location (approx) and details of the aerial and any splitters/amplifiers and number of other outlets could help us advise on how to improve things?

But using aerial straight into the Humax and it's RF passthrough to the TV is the obvious simple option (and I'm not sure why that hasn't been done already).

Any PVR will use a lot more energy than a TV on its own for watching some live TV. :rolleyes:

DLox

Novice Member
I got the RF passthrough solution working - not sure what I was doing wrong the first time around. But it's working, and my question has been answered. Many thanks for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom