1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a Mordaunt Short 905 Centre Open Up Front Soundstage more

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Glenzo, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    :confused: I've been toying with the idea that I'd like the Front ie. Centre Soundstage widened more. Especially now that my new CRT TV has a larger top!!

Currently I have a Tannoy Mercury MXC-M in the centre. Similar to:-

http://www.tannoy.com/MERCURYFC

Would a centre like a Mordaunt Short 905c open things up more or would this be futile to upgrade to?

See My Profile for my current Set Up spec.

Cheers!!

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you want the front soundstage opened up more it sounds more like a speaker matching and/or positioning problem that you currently have.

The ideal is for three identical speakers across the front, failing that a dedicated centre from the same range as the main speakers as that way you will have a tonal match and conversely if you buy a centre speaker that sounds completely different to the mains you will notice everytime a voice or sound pans across the soundstage.

When asking for advice on centre speakers it is always a good idea to list your main speakers in the post as people (me included) won't be bothered to look in your profile :)

3. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi,

My main speakers are JPW 205 floorstanders. Now I would have liked the 208 Centre but they're no longer available.

Now I thought then similar brands, and UK made quality would be a way of getting a good tonal match. Also looks wise the MS 905 blends in as if it were part of the range.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't know where MS actually make their speakers but JPW used to be made in Plymouth by a company that made speakers for quite a few other brands. Possibly you may find a closer tonal match than you think.

5. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    That would be great!!