Will a Monolith boom in my room?

DolbyDan

Hi :thumbsup:

After recently upgrading my amp, my front and rear surround pair, my next upgrade is a subwoofer!

My lounge is 3.5m by 3.5m, with laminate flooring.

I currently use a Jamo Sub 200 from my A102HCS5 set, its a baby 8" 200w and to be fair to it, used in my room with the Jamo sats, I think considering the whole package only cost £185 does a grand job, but it obviously does easily distort and doesn't go that low at all (by spec only 40Hz).

I can afford to go up to the price of a Monolith (discounting SVS as need a gf friendly finish) and surprisingly enough, despite my small lounge, I have the perfect 'aesthetic' place to have a Monolith subwoofer/coffee table :rotfl:, but I have an idea it probably isn't ideal for sound (see pic) and by what I read the Monolith is simply too much of a subwoofer for such a small area, will that be the case?

Will the sub be too boxed in?

Would the down-firing version be a bad option due to the laminate flooring or would it be okay? as its more 'aesthetically' pleasing and easier to get past her ish.

dazzler9000

Is that two people licking your toes in your diagram??

Sorry - not the most useful answer!

DolbyDan

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
The answer is, will any subwoofer placed in the corner of a square room not boom? Unless its an exceptionally weedy sub, incapable of reaching the frequencies relating to the rooms dimensions, then the chances are 'booms' are a distinct possibility. I say possibility, because until you're actually in a room with a sub, it's impossible to predict exactly.

This problem would not be restricted to the Monolith and being bigger/more powerful doesn't mean the problem will be worse, because you simply don't turn it up as much.

Your rooms main problem is that it's square and thus the 'booms' (hence forth; modes) relating to the width and length of the room could be doubled. Looking at it the other way though, you only have one real problem mode to deal with, some in some senses, its easier to solve.

The first way to aproach any mode related issue is positioning. That's positioning of the sub and you. With the sub in a corner and you against a wall, you're combining just about all the best ways of experiencing some overly massive bass. However, it's easy to appreciate that a 3.5x3.5m room, doesn't offer much opportunity for significant repositioning of anything away from the walls.

One thought that springs to mind is an FF Monolith might be better as it's driver and port would be at least 2ft from the rooms corner. Either postioned along the wall pointing at the side of the settee, or positioned alongside the settee firing across the room would help.

What is almost certain is that some sort of EQ device would go a long way to helping, but that would be true for any decent sub in that room.

Russell

DolbyDan

At the moment my sub is behind the TV in the corner and it doesn't boom, but I suspect it might fall into the category of, as you put it, "weedy".

EQ sounds expensive :confused: Would it be cheaper to look at a Velodyne SPL as it has built in EQ?

I only live 5 minutes from BK wish I could demo :rolleyes:

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
EQ costs about £70-80 plus cables in the form of the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro DSP1124 second hand, although the newer FBQ-2496 weighs in at about £120.

It is a purchase that will improve the bass of all of your future subs in all of your future rooms and is one of the very few one-time purchases in this game. It is a bit daunting at first, but there are some excellent resources for it's use along with the free (Yes, FREE!) download that is Room Equalisation Wizard (REW) software.

Whilst the "auto" EQ of the Velodyne may seem attractive, it is rather hit and miss. It lacks the ability to target individual frequencies and so it's success rather relies on your problem frequency coinciding with one of the six that Velodyne picked. It's better than nothing at all I suppose, but I wouldn't by the Velo on the strength of this feature, as opposed to it's qualities as a subwoofer.

The Monolith+BFD is a combination of superior capability for less money, but requires more work on the owners part. As of yet, no one has developed a plug and play self EQing sub that works. Well not unless you start adding noughts to the purchase price anyway.:(

Whilst I would always say go big and EQ, there are alternatives, that wouldn't give away too much in a room your size. A more compact sub may allow more positioning options, and at the risk of beating the same old drum, the SVS SB12/Plus has a feature that plays right into the hands of you potential one problem frequency.

The little SVS has a room size compensation control that will allow you to get the overall response closer to flat in the first place. On top of that, it has a single band parametric equaliser onboard. This is like a single band graphic equaliser, where not only can you adjust the amount of cut, but you can also adjust the frequency at which it works, as well as how wide a band the filter works over. It can work really well as I found out here on a bigger SVS sub, but you still need something like REW to target it effectively, so there's still some effort involved.

FWIW, in a room that size, a sub of this size may prove a better bet.

Russell

DolbyDan

Your making my brain work now :eek:

What sub will sound best (considering my small room course):

Monolith + EQ
SVS SB12-plus (didn't know they did gf friendly finishs too:smashin:)

sdb123

Distinguished Member
Your making my brain work now :eek:

What sub will sound best (considering my small room course):

Monolith + EQ
SVS SB12-plus (didn't know they did gf friendly finishs too:smashin:)

It's not really a case of *sounbding* best but performing best. ;)

I owned an SVS SB12+ in my old house (in a room of similar dimensions to yoursroom) and got it integrated pretty well. Just to be absolutely clear though, it was not positioned in a corner. :)

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
The Monolith+EQ should sound best, with work.

The SB12 is likely to be easier to get to work very well with less effort.

I know it flies in the face of popular wisdom, but I can't see the point in struggling to make a mahoosive sub work in a small room. It would give a certain amount of future proofing, if you were to move to a larger room in the future for instance, but the small sub will be easier to make work now.

Russell

mattkhan

Distinguished Member
I know it flies in the face of popular wisdom, but I can't see the point in struggling to make a mahoosive sub work in a small room. It would give a certain amount of future proofing, if you were to move to a larger room in the future for instance, but the small sub will be easier to make work now.
this is a fair point though I would add the following;

- are there alternative positions that a smaller sub can be placed that the larger sub would not go?
- do you have the ability to connect a computer to the setup and run REW?
- if so, how keen are you to learn how to use it?

how you answer these will go a long way to answering whether a Monolith is just daft or could be really great.

FWIW I used to have a XLS200 in a room that was about 4m * 2.5m for the living area (albeit it was an L-shaped kitchen diner so dimensions are for the living bit as opposed to the kitchen which was another 2.5m * 2m) with somewhat resonant floors covered with a lino type material. It was good fun but I replaced it with a Monolith and enjoyed a completely different level of performance. OTOH the response without EQ was basically unuseable. I've since moved house and have a bigger room, I also have a bigger sub and I still need EQ otherwise the sub would be a waste of time. Thankfully (for me though I'm not sure my wife agrees except when it's time to watch a film/listen to music) there is always something new to learn and that is enjoyable in and of itself.

Cheers
Matt

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom