Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Will a GeForce Ti 4600 do?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by slyborg, Sep 26, 2003.

1. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I ask as I have one and ultimately will be upgrading at some point so rather than get a Radeon for my HCPC why not use this and use the cash to upgrade my games pc with a new graphics card. Obviously I'll need to add a nice Zalman fanless heatsink as my LeadTek beast has 2 fans on and makes a fair amount of noise but was wondering if people knew what the quality was like with DVD playback using the GeForce 4 chipset?

Many thanks

Si

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it will do. Obviously a Radeon will be better but as you say, time enough to "upgrade".

One thing. What PJ are you using? nVidias aren't the best with custom resolutions via DVI, maxing @ 1280*1024 IIRC.

:smoke:

3. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'll be outputting to a Panny 42" Plasma, I'll never want to upgrade the gfx card in the HTPC, in my games PC I'll be upgrading to a high end radeon. So what I'm asking is will I suffer in picture quality using a Ti 4600 over say the recommended Radeon 9600? If I'll suffer then I might as well get the 9600 and then try and sell the 4600 when I upgrade my games machine.

Si

4. 50/50

50/50
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    radeons have better picture quality(apparently)

I got a GF ti4200 and it looks fine to me, but I've not got anything to compare it with so I cant say its better or worse.

5. Goof

Goof

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did notice a definite difference switching from a ti4200 to a Radeon 9700 in games (perhaps 30% better looking) but tbh noticed a lot less in HCPC visual quality...maybe 15% better but not huge. The difference I noticed with radeon was the colours looked less 'bleached' than the nvidia and the radeon's images were softer on the eye but didn't loose detail.

But then it'll depend on the Pj and settings too as Kramer pointed out.